Author Topic: New Build 300b SET system  (Read 8336 times)

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
Re: New Build 300b SET system
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 06:50:05 AM »

My Mono Blocks are all finished and are going through a break in on a pair of Altec V.O.T.T.s

Hopefully i will have them by this weekend
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 03:11:11 PM »
The big day arrived and i went to pick up my new pre amp and amp yesterday. I also got to listen to them set up on Pete's fabulous Altec Voice of the Theater speakers. Man of man are they nice.

Here is everything all set up. You can see the Lowther Medallions are in place replacing the Cain & Cain Abbeys. Originally I planned on using the Maple Alerions here instead of the Oak cabinet clad Medallions.

The new matching amp stands are in, they are Curly Maple trimmed in Bloodwood. Since an Audio Note phono stage followed me home I'll need to re think my stand again. Were the hell am I going to put a turntable?

I even treated the wall with a coat of melon to match the painting and framed some of Luke's art work to hang there as well. It doesn't exactly match, but he gets a kick out of seeing it and i really like looking at it as well.

Here is a little closer view of everything. The Eastern Electric DAC is sitting on the phono stage, the Apple TV ( looks like I need to switch it out for a black one) is sitting on Mr. 500T's Risers. You may notice some other familiar products.

Here is the left amp and you can see how nice the River Current speaker cables look connected to it. This is the first pair I got, Tom suggested spades on one end and bananas on the other. In hind sight Tom was very smart because the Lowthers have a really cool Cardas terminal that locks those spades down nice.

Here is the Cardas connector on the Medallion. Again, see how nice that looks? It sounds just as nice. I was using Anti cables buy I think the River current cables took the harshness out and made it a smoother sound.

Here is the left amp. These are 300b PSE ( Parallel Single Ended amps). The Bottle Heads were 3 watts, the Kit 1 was 8 watts and these are 18 watts per channel. It is actually way more power than I need for these speakers, but, man o' man the sound is incredible. See how nice the Carversite Inter-connects look? I wasn't sure if 1 meter cables would be long enough. Since ever detailed Tom asked what size I needed I ordered 1 meter and 2 meter cables. Funny thing is they arrived yesterday, he beat the pair I ordered direct from the manufacturer by a month. These replaced the Anti Cable Interconnects I was using, I think they are smoother and sound fuller than the Anti's. The Anti's performed really well in the Bottle Heads.

Here is the turntable i ordered last week from Agon, still waiting for it to show up. I am going to have to re think my audio racks when it shows up.

And the cats just watched on. They tolerate 2 channel music but the black one HATES surround sound. She can be asleep in my lap and when I put a movie on she stares at the screen, indignantly, then leaves.

It's been a long time in putting this system together. I absolutely love it, it is well worth the effort. These Interstage Mono Blocks are the bomb, a friend of mine Matt suggested them and another buddy built them. Combined with Lowther speakers they just utter nothing but sweetness.

Tinpan

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 03:36:50 PM »
WOW!!!!   That is an awesome system.   :o :o :o :o

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 04:56:01 PM »
Looking nice!!!!!  ;)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 08:34:03 PM »
Very impressive. enjoy it!
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 08:42:03 PM »
Looks amazing!  Thanks again for the cable orders and kind words.

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 08:53:15 PM »
Absolutely stunning looking system!!

Were those the Altec A-7 cabinets?

Also, your new TT looks great!  What is it??
Carl

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 07:40:22 AM »
Yep those are vintage A-7 cabinets. Pete made a custom crossover and added that vintage Altec dual horn. They are unreal. I could see picking up a pair of those very easily.

The turntable is a Thorens TD-60. I really tried to resist the urge to dust off my old Kenwood turntable. Sure enough, dusty as hell, it still worked. So I bought this as a little nicer unit to play around with. You would think I would be happy with my itunes library
Tinpan

Offline Brettl

• FNG !!!
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 03:14:03 PM »
If you are seriously considering Khorns I have a pair of them along with a pair of Altec model 19's I may part with in the upcoming future. You could bring your amps over and listen to them on them if you like.

Let me know, Brett
Artvandelay1@verizon.net

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 07:57:15 PM »
Brettl,

Thank you but I have too many speakers, I don't have any room,  under no circumstances could i possibly consider picking up a another pair of speakers, let alone Khorns...

Um... where are you located?  :-\

Hmmm, wonder what they look like?  :-[

Tinpan