Author Topic: BEER TESTER  (Read 6941 times)

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
BEER TESTER
« on: May 16, 2011, 07:15:24 PM »
No offense, but I might know more about beer than you do.
Surely I have drank more than you, but, I am near the grave, and you have many good years left to catch up.   ;)

Drinking beer don't make you an expert, but it is more fun than classes.  Getting drunk is not the same as getting drunk with good beer.  As the experienced know, our motto is - "Life is too short to drink cheap beer".  (sorry kingman).

I have studied beer in great detail over many years.
I actually make the best beer in the world after years of trial and error.  Like audio, the best changes with the person.

Most try to make beer you can buy at the 7-11.  Bud has that nailed down at a price you can't compete with.  That makes no sense as making good beer is very time consuming and no, you can't make it with a $100 kit.

Beer makers are as weird as audio guys.  They take apart an enzyme like you guys do a cable.

I think many of them (and a few of yall) loose the goal.

I can't help you with audio, but here is my free beer tester --

http://yardcrap.typepad.com/yardcrap/

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
Re: BEER TESTER
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 01:16:30 PM »
OO,

We here in Pittsburgh also know quite a bit about making beer.  We have a tradition of brewing beer on Super bowl Sunday so we have it ready for our trip to Charlotte Motor Speedway for the big 600 mile race.

I also agree with you on not drinking lesser beer. 

Quote from the back of Stone Arrogant Bastard bottle:

"This is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory - maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it's made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this."
Got Carver?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 02:14:44 PM »
"Life is too short to drink cheap beer".  (sorry kingman).
...No offense taken...I like my cold coors light!!!..."In reality.....wait....that's another forum!!!!!!!  :P :P :P
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:37:55 PM »
I like beer! :o  However, the special  OO Pinot is also kick ass!
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 08:04:42 AM »
I like beer! :o  However, the special  OO Pinot is also kick ass!
OO was kind enough to set me up with some also...gonna get around to some "wine" tastin this weekend!!!  8) 8) 8)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline OconeeOrange

• South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 07:16:32 PM »
OO,

We here in Pittsburgh also know quite a bit about making beer.  We have a tradition of brewing beer on Super bowl Sunday so we have it ready for our trip to Charlotte Motor Speedway for the big 600 mile race.

I also agree with you on not drinking lesser beer. 

Quote from the back of Stone Arrogant Bastard bottle:

"This is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory - maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it's made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this."

Offline icravcarver

• Vinyl is better than ever!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 10:10:55 PM »
I agree OO.  In my younger days (which technically wasn't a super long time ago), it was about the quantity, but that too has evolved, much like my taste in audio gear.  I am more into the quality of the beverage, be it beer,wine, etc.  just like my equipment and even my music. 

Some of the best stuff I have had was when one of my buddies experimented to get that tad bit of extra flavor/kick, or whatever else he was aiming for.  Once he nailed it, he would make some to last for a bit, then on to the next quest.  He always had a way of starting with an interesting brew to begin with, then perfecting it to his liking, and much to our pleasure, all of his friends  :P :P (we all seem to have similar tastes - must be from hanging out together so much!) 
MAIN SYSTEM:Carver TFM-55, Carver C-16, Carver S/DA-490t, Carver TD-1770, BSR-EQ3000, Philips AF-677, Auvio HD Radio Tuner, Polk SDA-1C's
Man Cave: HR-772, Technics SL-P220, Polk Monitor 12 Series 2
Bedroom: Cheap ass Teac Receiver, Klipsch Heresy II's
Porch: Kenwood KR-820 Receiver, Optimus STS 100

Offline OconeeOrange

• South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 05:02:02 PM »
I can see that.  There are just a few variables in making good beer (aside form things like cherries, chocolate, and dead animals)

Those are the malt, the hops, and very important is the yeast.

Most all beer making is just about juggling those three things.

I even have software that helps you combine them right, but at the end of the day, make my beer like Marie Baronne (Everybody Loves Raymond) cooks - "with love".

Offline OconeeOrange

• South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 10:03:25 PM »
Tom just saw this.

OO,

==============
The best brew party for us has been for all to make and bring the best example of Oktoberfest to a party where we only drink home brew.  We have posters and music for the Chicken Dance, etc.

As to the speedway, have taken the high speed tour from the pro, raced cop cars there and ran a foot race there.  Good fun !!!

Bill