Author Topic: Pioneer SX-1010 receiver acting wonky  (Read 3705 times)

bmwr75

Pioneer SX-1010 receiver acting wonky
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:17:37 PM »
I've recapped most of this receiver, but it is still doing the same thing as before I recapped it.  Via the headphone out (not sure about speaker outs), the right channel doesn't play at low volumes.  After you turn the knob to about 10 o'clock the right channel will start playing.  But, after a while I start hearing static in one or both channels. Then sometimes the sound cycles between the right and left side like an echo going through a canyon.  The receiver sounds great when not doing audio gymnastics.  I've cleaned all the control pots (volume, balance, etc.), toggle switches and pushbuttons multiple times.

What might be the problem?  Could it be the volume control is going out? 

SunnyDaze

Re: Pioneer SX-1010 receiver acting wonky
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 04:35:16 PM »
Don't fix it. I'll buy it like that. That canyon thing sounds AWESOME for Dark Side of the Moon!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 06:41:04 PM »
I'm guessing a solder joint or loose connection.  Very small that may close with heat.  But I'm just guessing.
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 01:51:04 PM »
Did you clean the actual headphone jack?   Deoxit on a pipe cleaner.   That jack and the accompanying switch can get funky.

bmwr75

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »
I did clean the jack, but with a q-tip, which may not have very too effective.  Will give a pipe cleaner a try.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 04:02:19 PM »
Just a suggestion... You said you're not sure about the speaker outs. Why not hook up a set and see if the erratic behavior continues. If it doesn't, you may be able to isolate it to something specific to the headphone stage.

bmwr75

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 04:42:34 PM »
@SD - I really should do that to determine if it is just the HP out that is giving me trouble.  Maybe next weekend....