Author Topic: Not so new...  (Read 2754 times)

Offline ST-Rider

• Double Secret Probation!
Not so new...
« on: July 16, 2012, 02:50:34 PM »
Greetings...this post is long overdue!

I've been going to Tom for audio stuff for probably 5 or more years or so, but not in any great quantity...I remember when he had a small place upstairs in (I think) Ross township. He'd probably recognize me but not know me by name, etc.

I don't make it to too many meetings (maybe one?) because I'm usually pretty busy on weekends.

I probably should come out more often (though I probably won't be as much fun as I don't drink!) ....I'd like to learn more nuances re: evaluating the gear. I can hear obvious things...i.e., I know that my Carver preamp/amp with my Paradigm speakers sounds better than my old Sony receiver with relatively inexpensive Infinity HT speakers. 

However, I can't usually tell the subtle differences that most of you guys seem to be able to pick out. Not sure if that's a function of experience or listening ability.

Anyway, there it is.

Also, maybe this would be a duplicate of "List Your System", but maybe a forum with just pictures would be cool...I always enjoy looking at pics of everyone's systems.

-jerry
Carver C5
Carver TFM22
Paradigm Monitor 7 v.4

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Re: Not so new...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 04:01:50 PM »
Welcome Mr. NOT so new...

Welcome to the forum...

Hope we can meet in the near future...   ;)

Have a great week!
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 05:19:46 PM »
Welcome aboard!

I have the same "issue" that you have. With very few exceptions (Snell B's on the Lightstar, Stax headphones, Aragon 4004, etc...), I have difficulty discerning differences in nuances between gear, as long as it's "high enough" on the fidelity ladder. I've definitely heard my fair share of sound systems, I just can't pick out "differences" that everyone speaks of for the most part. I'm often impressed with low dollar budget components that are of solid build quality and unimpressed with super high end gear that is supposed to sound better Marilyn Monroe moaning in ecstasy. Of course, I'm in the minority and I tend to catch hell for it sometimes, but, that's a different story. :o

Which Paradigms are you running with the Carver gear?

Don't worry about not drinking. Most of these heathens will be grateful that you're leaving more beer for them. :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:29:15 PM by SunnyDaze »

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 09:35:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum again Jerry!

bmwr75

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:49:54 AM »
Welcome fellow BMW rider.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 09:59:17 AM »
Welcome!
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Bunni

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 04:59:42 PM »
Welcome :)