Author Topic: Prius tire recommendations  (Read 6905 times)

Anders

Prius tire recommendations
« on: September 03, 2012, 11:35:38 AM »
I used to like listening to that show: Car Talk.

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on the right tires for my 2001 Prius ?

SunnyDaze

Re: Prius tire recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »
Anders,

Shop around and let me know what you find. There's a locally owned tire business near my parents called Bubnash Tire that is generally lower than anywhere in price, including mass-volume internet sellers like Tire Rack. They don't charge for installation, valve stems, etc. The price you are given is the price you pay, sans tax of course. Even when I was a manager at Pep Boys, I bought my tires from Bubnash. I've recommended the place to several friends, most of whom ended up buying their tires there because the prices are usually unbeatable when you factor installation and shop fees from other places.

I'm actually getting Kuhmo 4X's installed on my WRX there tomorrow. If you tell me what size tires are on your Prius, I'll get you a price while I'm there. It'd be a small hike for you (about an hour each way), but, the price may make it worthwhile.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:52:04 AM by SunnyDaze »

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »
The Tire Rack is what I always use.  You can have them delivered to your doorstep like you see in the pic below of my Eagles,  or they send it directly to a tire installer near your house for install (I did that for the chipmunk-food  Honda Civic).  You can get a set of 4 Yokohama Avid Toruing S  all season for $272 plus delivery. That tire is rated 7.76 overall in the TR surveys so apparently it has made many Prius owners happy.

Link here:  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+TOURING-S&partnum=765SR4TOURS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2001&autoModel=Prius&autoModClar=

B0030273 by JSifontes, on Flickr

Anders

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »
 Original Tire:  Bridgestone Potenza RE92

Classic Prius comes with these tires standard.  They are sometimes referred to as OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) tires.

175 / 65 R14
    84S speed & load rating
    50 PSI (3.4 bar) maximum pressure
    42/40 PSI front/back (2.9/2.8 bar) recommended
    1102 lbs. (500 kg) maximum load
    LRR (Low Rolling Resistance)
    10/32 inch (8 mm) tread depth
    902 revs per mile
    "A" Traction
    "A" Temperature
    160 Treadwear
    30,000 mile (48,280 km) warranty

Bunni

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »
This Bridgestone Potenzas wear out so fast.  We don't actually want those, but they are the recommended tire.  We went through 3 sets in a year and a half when we first got the car.  Upon recommendations from the Prius groups, we then put Goodyear Allegras on the car.  They were only available at Sam's.  They were great, lasted a long time, but did drop our milege a small amount.  Overall worth it for the amount of wear we got.  This car is heavier than your normal car, especially the front end.

We can't get the Allegra's anymore.  Needing tires badly, we put Coopers on, of the correct size, but the noise they create is unbearable.

Price unfortunately is an abject.  There are some other tires recommended by the Prius groups, Michelin which is out of our price range.  The only official tires for the 2001 Prius are the Potenzas or the Dunlop S10 which is used in Canada.  Just can't afford to replace tires several times a year.

Also the newer Prius doesn't have these same issues.  These are pretty much exclusive to the original Prius, 2001-2003.

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 04:29:42 PM »
Split from opening thread and created a new subject. You're welcome, noob. :D
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Bunni

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 07:04:08 PM »
Hey he can't be good at everything :)

SunnyDaze

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 07:53:12 PM »
The treadwear on the Potenzas is only 160. That's very low, and explains why they wear out in no time.

Also on Tire Rack are the Sumitomo HTR T4's. They've got very comparable ratings (7/10 overall) to the Yokahama's that Pepe mentioned and cost 52 dollars less.

I will get you a price on tires from my tire guy tomorrow, Anders.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 07:57:40 PM by SunnyDaze »

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 08:10:50 PM »
I tried to read up on the connection between thread wear and rolling resistance.  It appears to be much more complicated than one would assume.  I  would err on the side of survey ratings and affordability.  That simplifies it.   

SunnyDaze

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 10:36:15 PM »
Treadwear ratings are supposed to be uniform, based on government standards. In all reality, each tire company can use a different baseline for their comparisons. That being said, whether exaggerated or not, a treadwear rating of 160 is very low.

Bunni

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 01:28:27 AM »
Toyota told us years ago these are performance tires....in response to why the hell were the tires wearing out so fast.  We got one of the three sets free.  I just want the same longevity we got from the Goodyear Allegras.  They were not LRR, but they did manage the weight of the car, and we were still seeing above average mileage.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 05:49:04 AM »
For the price/mileage/performance,  it is hard to beat Goodyear. I run the Viva 2's on my Camry and get close to 60,000 miles for less than $400 mounted and lifetime rotation.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:53:06 AM by Kingman »
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Bunni

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 07:37:52 AM »
The last time we were able to get the Allegra's, 4 tires at Sam's cost less than $200 installed.  Wish they still had them.  They were exclusive to Sam's.

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 08:47:27 AM »
NTB was advertising buy two get two free recently.  I know Sears usually does the buy 3 get 1 free as well.  There used to be a place back home that sold tires from wrecked vehicles.  You could get slightly used tires for dirt cheap.  Do they have anything like that around the burgh?

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 08:36:49 PM »
The Tire Rack is what I always use.  You can have them delivered to your doorstep like you see in the pic below of my Eagles,  or they send it directly to a tire installer near your house for install (I did that for the chipmunk-food  Honda Civic).  You can get a set of 4 Yokohama Avid Toruing S  all season for $272 plus delivery. That tire is rated 7.76 overall in the TR surveys so apparently it has made many Prius owners happy.

Link here:  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+TOURING-S&partnum=765SR4TOURS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2001&autoModel=Prius&autoModClar=

B0030273 by JSifontes, on Flickr

Yokahama Avid +4 are THE BEST tire I've ever had from a wet/dry performance aspect.   I can't recommend they highly enough.  They have a decent mileage warranty & tire rack has the best prices, although you're going to have to find a good place to mount/balance them (for the life of the tire) so that can make the life cycle cost of the tire higher.
TNRabbit

Carver SD/A-360 CDP feeding  Benchmark DAC-1
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor/Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature Amp
Ashly XR-1001 & Rane PEQ-15s biamping AL-IIIs