Author Topic: Prius tire recommendations  (Read 6918 times)

SunnyDaze

Re: Prius tire recommendations
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »
Anders / Bunni,

My tire guy said he can get the Kuhmo Solus KR21 for $75-$80 per tire installed. That covers valve stems, mounting, and balancing. Of course, there's tax on top of that. He actually recommended these tires after I told him you had a daughter driving the car. He says these are great in the rain, they are an 85,000 mile tire so they will last, and they perform well in snow. These tires are 66.00 dollars each on TireRack.com. If you order all 4, plus pay shipping, you're up to approximately $310. That doesn't count installation or anything of the sort from TireRack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?customSizeSearch=&width=175%2F&ratio=65&diameter=14

If you'd like more info on my tire guy, let me know. I had my Kuhmo Ecsta 4X's put on my WRX today. I was in and out within 25 minutes. My parents and I have purchased our tires from this place for the past 15 years. We even have friends who drive from as far away as Ohio and Pittsburgh for the prices.

Bunni

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 10:26:15 AM »
They look good SD, can you message me with info on your tire guy?

Really the only test is getting the tires on the car and seeing how the car responds.  The tires on there now, meet the basic specs, but make more noise than I have ever heard.  It's maddening!  With the amount of driving Anders does, and yes the possibility of Emily driving the car at some point..we need to make sure the car is safe.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions!!

SunnyDaze

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 11:20:30 AM »
The place is called Bubnash Tire in Perryopolis.

The phone number is (724) 736-4550. The owner's name is Ed. He's very knowledgeable. If you call and tell him I talked to you about the Kumho Solus KR21's for the Prius yesterday, he'll most likely remember. He'll be able to tell you their handling characteristics, ride quality, noise and what not. You'll be shocked when you see the place. It's a little mom & pop gas station / tire shop in a town of 1500 people, yet, somehow they do immense tire volume.

Good luck!