Author Topic: Bob Crites crossovers for Klipsch speakers  (Read 11770 times)

bmwr75

Bob Crites crossovers for Klipsch speakers
« on: December 22, 2009, 11:39:04 AM »
Just installed a set of these in my KLF-20s.  Got the tube amp warming up to let them settle in a little bit.

Yeah, could have built the crossovers from scratch, but Bob does a good job on these and he's an Arkansas boy.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/

Offline Brettl

• FNG !!!
Re: Bob Crites crossovers for Klipsch speakers
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 11:24:53 PM »
I am also a big Klipsch fan and have owned many different pairs. If you want maybe we could listen to each others systems. I currently have Khorns and KG 5.5's. I live near Peter's Twnsp.

Thanks, Brett
Artvandelay1@verizon.net
724-747-6047 Cell

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:36:55 AM »
Brett...you may want to remove your email address and phone #..this is a public forum and a crazy could get this info!!!  :o :o :o...pm him instead!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline sk1335

• Frank Lloyd Wrong
  • Play it loud, Play it often!
    • Dimension Design Services
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 07:04:39 AM »
Thinking of doing the Crites tweeters and the ALK crossovers in my La Scala's.
Let us know what you think of the upgrade
Family Rm: Carver Lightstar 2.0, Carver C-19, Sony CDP x777es, NHT 3.3, Yamaha PF 800 TT
Garage: Carver Lightstar 2.0, Carver C-19, Sony CDP 707esd, Denon DP-51 TT, JBL L5 (JL Audio Modded)
Living Rm: Harman-Kardon 775 Monoblocks, Apt Holmann Pre

bmwr75

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 07:27:50 AM »
The titanium tweeter diaphragms made a very audible improvement in these speakers.  The crossovers.....not so much.  Probable means the original crossovers were still OK.

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 04:29:29 PM »
THREAD REVIVAL!

I too have recently put new crossovers and tweeter diaphragms from bob crites in my Forte II's.  I noticed a nice improvement from both.  The crossovers gave them an overall "refresh" for  a lack of a better word, and the titanium diaphragms made the top end shimmer more with way better harmonics, and vocals (esp girl groups) really shine. 

Installation was insanely simple, it took me about 45 mins to do the entire job, and i am NOT handy with electronics. 

I am happy with my purchase, and new crossovers+titanium tweeters+grado+carver 20 watt tube (borrowed) = CLEAAAAAAAN

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 06:26:51 PM »
I upgraded the crossovers in a friend's KG4's using Sonicaps and Mills.....huge improvement, much nicer top end.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline geoffr

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 06:44:39 PM »
I'm sending my xovers to Crites tomorrow for a refurb. Thank goodness my tweets are ok as there are no diaphragm replacements available for the Heresy 1. I just got these and I love the way the way they sound. My wife even likes them so they might go up to the living room with the Fisher 400.
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 07:06:09 PM »
Nice!  It was a real toss-up between Crites XOs and the ALK 'Universals' that I put in a few weeks ago.  I went for the ALKs and have been loving them.  They really changed the sound quite a bit -better separation, tighter bass, more modern- and I think it really took the Cornwalls to a new level.

You'll have to tell us what you think of the Crites rebuild.   
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9