Author Topic: Mini ALIII's  (Read 11592 times)

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Mini ALIII's
« on: February 17, 2013, 09:25:38 PM »
I've wanted to make a pair of mini or modified ALIII's for quite some time.  The original idea was to use the 12" woofers from my silvers and make an L shaped speaker with the woofers facing out the sides/ribbon in the front.  After the success of the JL driver in the Bearjew's ALIII's I kind of rethought this.  The only issue I have with the originals, besides the stock woofer, was the down firing driver.  I wanted a front facing driver but keep the overall size small.  So, I decided to use a 8" RE Audio subwoofer.

Overall dimensions are 58" high x 9.5" wide by 14.75" deep.  The box that will house the woofer has a .75" slotted port on the backside.  I read multiple things about ported vs. sealed and a round vs. slotted port for the driver and decided to go this route.  The front and sides are made from .75" oak, the bottom and backside are made from a doubled up piece of .5" plywood.  So far everything is cut/glued and waiting to dry.  Tomorrow I will be sanding then applying a red mahogany stain.  More pictures to come.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
Re: Mini ALIII's
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 09:51:33 PM »
Very nice Rev!  This will be an interesting project to watch.  You do very nice work.

Regards,

Carl
Carl

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:44:19 AM »
Looking very good!

What are you going to use as a crossover?

Also, you should talk with Toy Maker on the Carveraudio site.  He has built at least two different versions or updates to the ALIII's.  He would have some good insite or can answer any questions.
Got Carver?

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 10:14:05 AM »
I agree a front-facing woofer has a better chance to approach the superb bass-mid-bass of the Silvers, in my opinion.  The Silvers cross over to the three woofs at 120hz,  whereas the AL-IIIs cross at 150Hz  -  so the ribbons are really moving in the Silvers at the low end.  One suggestion could be to start off with the original x-over, keeping it outside the box while tweaking until they sound the way you want them (or make it an outboard x-over).  I suspect the magic bass in the Silvers (and all the Amazings) has more to do with the woofers in open baffle (whatever the right term is for open-back) - hard to duplicate otherwise.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:58:54 PM »
Interesting....keep the pics coming!!!!  ;)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 01:51:30 PM »
Or go active x-over. 

:P

Offline Reverend

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:12:45 PM »
I'll be using the crossover from the silvers.  It will be housed in the sub cabinet but I will use a cork gasket to make the top removable.  I'm pretty sure i'll have to play around with the port size as well.  The first two pics are of the first coat of stain.  The last three are mockup.  The drivers are mounted and everything is coming together.  I'm using rough cut stone slabs under the base.  I'm still deciding what shape to make the dust covers.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:59:17 PM »
There is something about building speakers that takes the audio fun into a separate level of greatness.  The problem is that getting your money back is tough,  as potential buyers get turned off by the home-made connotations.  But the fun of doing it is worth it.  I think I will plan a project soon - I've always wanted a custom made center channel.

You seem fond of sandwiching plywood with glue to make the cabine walls thicker (I think I saw you sandwiched like 6 planks to make a turntable base).  I should try that as opposed to buying extra wood. 

OBG

Offline mbskeam

• Double Secret Probation!
  • oh yeah baby
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 11:05:43 PM »
lookin good..... ;D ;D ;D
mbskeam

http://photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/

life is like flowers hanging from RaZer wire

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »
Looking really good!
Got Carver?

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 02:42:29 PM »
Excellent! Keep the pictures coming and I can't wait to hear a review on how they sound.
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 04:12:05 PM »
Agree with Stephen - the pictures are worth whatever effort it takes to snap em, keep posting. Thanks.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 05:48:32 PM »
I WANNA HEAR EM!!!!    8)      8)        8)                                         ;)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 09:31:35 AM »
I WANNA HEAR EM!!!!    8)      8)        8)                                         ;)

Then get your @ss up to Pittsburgh!
Got Carver?

bearjew

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 09:41:43 AM »
Holy shit! Front firing woofers! Brilliant! Can't wait to see how they sound in comparison to mine!