Author Topic: Mini ALIII's  (Read 11891 times)

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Mini ALIII's
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 09:49:23 AM »
I was wiring last night and came across a problem.  The one ribbon isn't working.  Even when i put the leads directly to it nothing.  So, i'll have to un-mount it tonight and see what the issue is.  I have the ribbon wires going through a small hole into the woofer cabinet.  My guess is one came loose or the two ends are touching each other somehow.

Otherwise, they are almost done except for the front grills.  Here's a few pics of my initial wiring setup.  Notice that the cross over was so big I had to split it into two pieces to fit.

bearjew

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 10:01:45 AM »
nice!  when are you bringing them to the shop for us to hear them?

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »

Rev's basement is a good place to listen to them!  Looks like there will be a party!  LOL
Got Carver?

Offline Reverend

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »
Yeah, need to have a get together one of these days.  I'm down to one set of speakers, so these will be my primary's.

Offline Reverend

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
A few more pics.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »
How is the sound?

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 11:34:26 PM »
That is what I am waiting to know!  Certainly a cool project.
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 09:11:15 AM »
If they sound as good as they look you really have something there.

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 10:11:14 AM »
Nice work Rev.  How do they sound??

Offline Reverend

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 10:31:31 AM »
Only one is currently complete, the other is having a ribbon issue.  I did listen to the complete one and thought it sounded pretty good.  The bass was punchy but had a nice low end.  I did not play around with placement/eq/settings/etc. and won't until the other is finished.  I plan on doing the grill covers this weekend.

With any new project I found numerous flaws and issues that a second build would resolve.  But, I'm a lazy man and will stick with these for the time being.  I used a glue and dowel method thinking that this would work structurally well.  Not the case.  The front panel is so heavy that there is stress on the areas it's mounted to the base/cabinet.  To offset this I had to add screws to the front which I wasn't planning on doing.  But, the grill covers will hide this.  If I had to do it again, I would make the sub cabinet one piece and the front panel another.  Also, the removable top has created more issues then it was intended to resolve.  I would not do this again.  It's sealed well but not perfectly.

Hopefully, I should have a full report on the sound later this weekend or next week.

BB3

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 04:11:24 PM »
My goodness is that impressive work you're doing there Rev.

I'm blown away.........Bill

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 08:32:33 PM »

Rev's basement is a good place to listen to them!  Looks like there will be a party!  LOL

I will bring some Trout beer!

Flyers SUCK!!
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »
I'm excited to hear them. When's the party?
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 10:32:32 PM »
Impromtu party was tonight...spoke with the bearJew....seemed to be a good fellow...usual shit from OCCD....BTW...automatics are good at the range I mentioned!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:40:54 PM by Kingman »
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Reverend

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 01:16:11 PM »
Tom is letting me borrow one of his ribbons until mine gets fixed.  I popped the spare in on Friday night and wow do these things sing.  The ribbons are so transparent that no holography is needed.  It would be overkill otherwise.  This makes me believe that surface area is a large variable when it comes to how the ribbons behave.  It makes sense since you would be getting more of a signal off the back wall when not as much is blocking the wave path.  The woofers are very punchy and the more I play them the more they come alive so they must have a break in period.  Although I loved the woofers in my silvers, I felt they could be muddy or overpowering when used in conjunction with tubes.  Now again, i'm using RE Audio subs which were picked more for their cost and reputation.  They sound good but by no means are they the final product.  I'd be interested in trying other subs (probably JL's) in the future.

With the wife's help, I built the grills yesterday.  There will be a square grill around the woofer and a elongated 4" wide grill to cover the ribbon.  I had several different thoughts on how I wanted to make the grills but decided on this approach.  If I get bored I can always make new ones.  I'm going to attach them with velcro strips for easy removal.

I'll have final pics tonight once the grills are mounted.  Here's a few I took yesterday.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:18:57 PM by Reverend »