Author Topic: Rev's System  (Read 7280 times)

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
Re: Rev's System
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 04:58:08 PM »
Insanely cool

bearjew

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 06:04:16 PM »
No, i didn't really document this build.  I think I did for the old ones somewhere on this forum.  They use 48" carver ribbons and 8" jl audio subwoofers.  Using an active crossover that right now is set at 175Hz.  I had this set at 150Hz on my old pair but I noticed a slight hump so I moved them up a bit.

The cabinets that house the JL's are angled upwards which I found improves the bass tremendously.  They are non-ported.  The ribbon baffle is sitting at 90 degrees.  They are connected using heavy steel L brackets and wood shims.  These shims will be changed to hard rubber in the near future. The baffle isn't actually touching the cabinet but enough vibration is coming through on extremely bassy music (like Torch Song) that the baffles are vibrating.

The baffle bracing is made from 1/2" square steel rods with hard rubber ends/brackets i made/designed so they could be mounted to the wood without the metal touching.  The ribbon grills are taken from the old speakers, I plan on making new ones that are longer and rounded at the ends.  Also i need to look into better spikes.  I'm currently using hockey pucks in the front to achieve the 90 degree ribbon baffle angle.

haha you said shim

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 07:55:11 PM »
Lookin good and sounding better!!!!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 09:58:17 PM »
Very nice Rev!  Interesting observation on angling the subs.
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 10:03:55 PM »
If you are concerned about vibration into the ribbons, why mount them on the sub boxes at all?   Surely from 175 Hz down, you won't lose any imaging by moving the sub boxes out a foot, will you?

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 06:28:45 AM »
Beautiful.  I wish I had the skills to build things like that.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Reverend

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 10:08:48 AM »
Thanks everyone, like i said earlier, hopefully I can take some better pictures.  Yes, the plan was to make a single speaker.  I could have made a separate panel just for the ribbons but what fun is that?  The alignment of the woofers (subs) and ribbons in my old pair seemed to be perfect so I went with the same concept.  The upward angle of the boxes do alleviate some issues but placement is still a big factor, like the ribbons, when it comes to imaging.  The sweet spot is very small.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 11:16:26 AM »
Hey all - I had to move pictures around in my photobucket so the pics of Rev's system disappeared.  Will repost them later today. 

Regards

OBG

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 08:31:45 AM »
Had the opportunity to give the new set up a listen last night....
Pretty darn sweet!
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 09:50:20 AM »
Had the opportunity to give the new set up a listen last night....
Pretty darn sweet!

Will believe it when I hear it.   8)

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »
"I'll take a few more pictures later when the walls are done."

Ahem..and we want some nice close ups of that turntable
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

Offline Reverend

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 11:12:40 AM »
I haven't really done anything with that room yet.  I'll take a few pics of the "fisher price" turntable as Pepe calls it. 

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 05:01:56 PM »
I haven't really done anything with that room yet.  I'll take a few pics of the "fisher price" turntable as Pepe calls it.

To be accurate,  I called it a Playskool turntable.  Fisher Price would be a step or two above that.   >:D