Author Topic: this is actually extremely weird  (Read 7809 times)

Offline lolimsober

• FNG !!!
  • it don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing
    • aids is really
this is actually extremely weird
« on: June 11, 2013, 05:23:40 AM »
hey everyone, i'm on probation for some stupid things, so i like to stick with the internet name lolimsober. i think it's pretty good and defining of my person. anyway, i'm 23. i've always been pretty into music, but only recently did i grow an appreciation for the vintage sound, look, smell. some friends of mine, including myself. go to our local waste managements places(dumps) and they have electronics bins. we go after hours since scavenging is strictly prohibited, even upon a nice request during regular hours of operation. but we'd take electronics, tvs/amplifiers/receivers/speakers, that seemed like it'd be worth some extra cash. after getting extremely handy with a soldering gun and a few yamaha m-80s and various speakers throughout time did i really start noticing the difference between sounds. but where i live, there's really nowhere that sells vintage equipment or yard sales it even. so it's always left to the dumps for me. you'd be surprised at what people throw away, even in complete working order.

i'm really into tape right now. haha, i found a really nice onkyo dual deck that i'm running through, what seems to be an extremely obscure electro voice receiver and some mid range kenwood floors. but i mean, for trash it's a pretty good rig. i listen to mostly classical, jazz, and lofi pop if that can even make sense. Tchaikovsky is probably my favorite followed closely behind Franz Liszt. i'm also generically into vinyl, after finding a technics table with a pickering xv15 on it with the sounds of silence right under it? who wouldn't be. haha.

i also don't want people to pass judgement at my way of acquiring items through thievory, but i'll leave my political views out of it. and everything we don't use for ourselves, or if we find anything nice, we sell dirt cheap on the 'bay. but their sellers fees are getting worse and worse. probably going to stop that soon.

sorry if this post is so long, i just wanted to actually act as a member on here. contribute to discussion, conversation, musical interests. i'm really bummed out i missed the swap a few weekends back, i'm coming up to pgh this weekend. i'm dating a girl in dormont so i'm in the area at least once a month!

again! hi, everyone! have a wonderful tuesday!
shit, i'll get one of these eventually

Offline lolimsober

• FNG !!!
    • aids is really
Re: this is actually extremely weird
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 05:25:58 AM »
figured i'd show my base set up. haha. mind you, it's all trash! even the table ;)

wait til i get some pictures of the shed/work station. we found a 60in samsung led monitor we wall mounted! got it working perfectly with a few cap swaps!!

Anders

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 06:26:16 AM »
Why not save the vintage stuff from the dumpster ?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 06:33:42 AM »
Dumpster diving for gear!!!  I sure wouldn't need a permit for that!!! ;)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 06:38:49 AM »
I have to admit finding a thing or two along the curb.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 06:46:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum. 
   No shame in dumpster diving!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 08:43:46 AM »

i also don't want people to pass judgement at my way of acquiring items through thievory,

The only crime would be letting good gear get smashed to bits in the trash compactor.   I think you are providing a public service.

Here is my Marantz 2230, found on the side of the road in Sq Hill on trash night...

BEFORE

AFTER

Offline Reverend

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 09:18:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  You said "dump".  >:D

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 09:42:14 AM »
Welcome. No shame in dumpster diving!
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 10:31:21 AM »
Welcome, and awesome job on the Marantz. I have a 2270 that a childhood friend gave me recently. It's not nearly as nasty looking as yours was. It needs a new power switch, some new indicator lamps and some Deoxit and it will be fine. Seeing your refurbish job does sort of motivate me. Just don't really have a need for it right now.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 11:04:54 AM »
It's better to put good gear back into circulation than to let it rot away in a dump.

Welcome to the madhouse.

P.S. - Eat wings at Mexi Casa while in Dormont.

Offline audiott

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 06:51:06 PM »
hmmm.  Interesting way of finding gear. Amazing what people throw away

Offline lolimsober

• FNG !!!
    • aids is really
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 07:11:46 PM »
hey thanks for all the warm welcomes, people. i'll deff have to check out that wing place. i'm a p big fan of wings. yeah, dumpster diving is so good around here. we don't have like, trash, that people leave on the street. we have designated places. i'm probably going to go out tonight. i'll report my findings =D

by the way, do we have any big modest mouse fans on here?!

Offline lolimsober

• FNG !!!
    • aids is really
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 08:12:57 PM »
additionally, good job on the marantz clean up! that's a real beauty!!

Offline audiott

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 09:42:21 PM »
What is a big modest mouse?