Author Topic: My latest give away system  (Read 30374 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: My latest give away system
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 09:51:43 AM »
Yep, that's what these are for.   I have a blast tearing things apart and listening to them, then they get a decent "mid-fi" system.   It's a big win-win.

In this instance it is a kid who moved here for college and is now part of my church' song ministry.   He made a post on Facebook asking if anyone had a turntable he could have since he wanted to get into vinyl.   I'm glad I got to him before some schmuck with a Crosley did.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 10:01:31 AM »
I looked at the post above and realized I forgot to give the run down...

Technics SA-222 Receiver - $9.99 at the thrift
Project-One DR-V Turntable - $10 at a yard sale (it was marked $20)
Teledyne-Olson SS-251 Speakers - $2.99 at the thrift (I'll have a dozen, please)

...and a small confession.   See that heavy white speaker cable sticking out from behind the system?   When I'm driving around for work and I see someone threw out a vacuum cleaner, I am in the habit of pulling over and liberating it of it's long power cord.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 10:29:17 AM »
Mark-I have used the power cords to wire my trains as well.  If any of those vacuum cleaners are Electrolux, please let me know.  I sold them years ago and was once a service tech.  I have been using vintage models since they were just "used" and can refurbish or parts them out.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 08:52:40 PM »
In one of my many post music school jobs, I sold Electrolux cleaners at Lechmere Department Store in Cambridge, Mass.   They gave up on their retail experiment fairly quickly, but I did develop an appreciation for the product.   I also did "training" for Filter Queen, but they were too sleezy.

If I come across any Electrolux stuff, it is yours.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2014, 08:53:44 PM »
Canisters, uprights, or either?

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 10:18:26 PM »
Canisters, please, with the metal tanks.  The tools are useful too, but often missing.  Hoses usually leak or are broken, but there are occasional exceptions.  Many thnaks.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 11:30:50 PM »
The give away system looks very nice Mark!  I hope the young college student enjoys it!
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 11:58:32 PM »
If he decides to stick with vinyl, he should upgrade the cart.   I like AT stuff but this one is just barely adequate.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 11:59:10 PM »
Still better than a Crosley, though.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 09:39:04 PM »
I delivered another give away system yesterday.   It is just the kind of system that I love to give to bachelor men.   Decent performance, low WAF.   It starts with a Sony receiver (that didn't sell at the swap meet).   It's a low power unit (35wpc, IIRC) but is a perfect match for him as he requested very small speakers.   Those speakers are a pair of Jensens that I was given.   Small, no grills, adequate sound.   As I was cleaning them up, I noticed they sounded best on their backs.   So I started playing with the rear port.   After various unsuccessful attempts to alter the port, I stuffed the cabs with polyfill to nice effect.   The table is a DD Fisher, CEC made, which is much better than it has a right to be.   I put a budget Technics cart with a good stylus on it (I can still use a couple carts for these systems if anyone has some laying around).   No dust cover, or I would have had it at the swap meet.   A nice starter system, with the speakers being the weak link for sure.   I also threw in a couple records from my dupes pile.

Sorry about the crappy picture.   I took it with my cheezy cell phone at his house after walking up his three flights of stairs with the equipment.   I wasn't fully myself.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2015, 07:24:00 AM »
sweet!  It's a nice thing that you do.... please instruct your friend what to look for as he buys albums lol 
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2015, 11:43:26 AM »
Nice

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2015, 07:32:11 PM »
Nice gesture.  Your friend should couch up a couple bucks to buy some of the speakers you had at the swap meet.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2015, 07:49:32 PM »
I give these systems to kids who don't have a couple bucks.   If they really feel like making a payment, I just have them babysit or mow my grass.   Besides, I only have one of those pairs of speakers left.   Sold the 5002s last week.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 07:51:14 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline Mongojustpawn

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Mongo Like Choo-Choo!
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2015, 09:39:12 PM »
Agree with the others, Nice thing to do.
Welcome Back My Friends, To The Show That Never Ends