Author Topic: My car exploded  (Read 20367 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Re: My car exploded
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2013, 12:31:58 AM »
Good luck! Sounds promising...
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »
I hope so.   I drove it again today for about a half hour with no issue.   I did so many things at once that I can't say which, if any, solved the problem, but it is running really smooth now after all that work.   I'll keep yinz posted.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »
Never put anything other than Mass Air Flow cleaner or Contact Cleaner on the Mass Air Flow sensor vane.

That little sucker gets VERY hot, a few hundred degrees.

The vehicle has an ambient air temperature sensor that inputs the temperature of the outside air to the vehicle's computer. As air flows over the heated vane, it cools off by some amount. More flow over the vane equals more cooling. Utilizing the temperature of the vane and accounting for ambient air temperature, the computer determines the amount of air entering the engine.

The amount of fuel is then proportionally injected into the cylinders for a given throttle position.

As I explained way earlier, this process does not occur until the vehicle reaches warm operating temperature and begins to operate in open loop mode (reading live sensor data, vs. closed loop mode that operates on pre-programmed parameters).

The WD 40 probably effected it for a little while, specifically right after spraying the sensor. This explains your 10 minute shut down; the vehicle warmed up and went into open loop mode with WD 40 on the MAF vane. Most likely the WD 40 burned off at the dealership and everything was peachy afterward.

Glad it's working now!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2013, 12:24:48 AM »
No, I used MAF cleaner on the MAF.   I also used MAF cleaner on the idle air control motor.   Then, upon further reading, I found that the motor is supposed to be lubed and a couple sites said that WD40 is as good as the dedicated chemical.   So I went back and redid the idle air control motor with the WD40.   I never used WD40 on the MAF sensor.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2013, 02:10:41 AM »
My bad. I shouldn't have been so careless when I read your posts.

P.S. - If you ever re-lube an idle air control valve, try using the PB Blaster brand of Garage Door Lube. :)

Glad your car is working again!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2013, 07:27:37 PM »
BTW, SD, I'm not sure that I properly thanked you for your direction.   Your input was invaluable.   I really appreciate it.

Gale drove the car for another hour today.   No issues yet.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2013, 12:26:43 AM »
Hey man, I'm glad I could help.

I think you're in the clear! Good job!  ;D