Author Topic: modified M1000 patch cords  (Read 5102 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
modified M1000 patch cords
« on: August 31, 2013, 10:02:07 AM »
thought I'd pass along my summer project:

Had a pair of original M1000 patch cords from around 1980 if memory servers...  to my ears, they sounded "perfect"... with both my last best of the best stereo and in my new HT set up for the Jolida phono preamp to receiver. Sadly, the RCA plugs on these used compression onto the wire casing to hold them partially in place... and after all the interviening years they gave up the ghost.

I contacted Monster and since they have a lifetime warrantee they took my vintage patch cords back and sent me their latest and greatest version.. unfortunatley, the newest version sounded NOTHING like the originals.... bass was still good, deep and fast, but the highs were completely missing... even after what would be considered a generous break in period (if you beleive in breaking in wires).... 

I started a search for replacements and ended up talking and trying some pure silver wire connects ... these didn't work either, in my system, sounding like the entire audio spectrum shifted upward from midrange on... but I did convince him to sell me some of the silver wire he used, just to play with... note that these are not shielded wires.. just silver wire from a spool with a seperate stiff braided cover.

I took the M1000s and tried every combination possible: one run of silver to both the center and another to the outer ring, one run to just the centers,  one run to just the outer ring and two runs to both the center and two runs to the outer ring.... solder/ listen, unsolder, solder/ listen, unsolder lol...  what a royal PITA.

The end result was that I was able to create near perfect patch cords (to my ears and in my system), even better than the original M1000s by using one run of silver wire soldered to the outer ring connector....  I liked the results so much, I made a second pair to use for the CD player... again a significant improvement from all the other pairs I tried.... (at least five) ...

Just passing along my personal results/ observations.... of course your results may vary.  FYI, I was sworn to secrecy and cannot divulge the name of the guy/ company that sold me the silver wire/ cover... but it is nothing that you cannot buy on ebay etc.... the labels were removed from the spools... I know it is 99.9999 pure and 18 gauge....  there was no coating of any kind on the wire...  found it easiest to solder using a little bit of flux.  slid the silver under the RCA outer cover, soldered one end, cut the sleave to length, slid the wire into the sleeve, slid the wire under the other end RCA outer cover, soldered....  used electrical tape to hold the sleeve/ wire to the M1000i ...  I have not experienced any interference from the unshielded wire, even with the pile of wires stuffed behind my rack...  7.2 system, phono preamp, blue ray, cable box, cd player and Adcom amp for zone 2 ...

a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: modified M1000 patch cords
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 10:47:33 AM »
Okay, you can't tell us who but can you post a pic?

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 03:39:24 PM »
he said he will not sell " just the components" to anyone again and told me specificly not to put his name or company out there.. sorry! .... honestly, it's just 18 gauge 99.9999 silver with a generic braided 16 gauge wire cover (fun sliding the wire into the cover) ... Not sure if using 14 or 20 gauge wire would make a difference.  It wasn't cheap, but I have less than $150 into each patch cord set (including the M1000i)  and am very happy with the results...

Oh yea, forgot to mention he had me wipe the silver wire down with alcohol to remove oxidation... I actually used Never Dull on them... don't know difference removing the outer oxidation could / would make...
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 03:56:10 PM »
I'm not trying to figure out who it is, I'm just trying to figure out how you've wired it together.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 06:31:39 PM »
If you go to the shop tonight, can you bring an example?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »
sounds like a home security issue to me...

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 08:44:33 AM »
sorry, I didn't see this message until this morning....if you were there last night, you should have said something... could have walked you through it. 

sent you a pm....

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 08:56:54 AM »
I was not there last night.   I'm still stuck in Penn Hills.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 10:33:28 AM »
Huh? Why would the guy who is in business to sell wire not want to sell wire? Am I missing something???  ???
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Reverend

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 10:49:29 AM »
I'm not trying to figure out who it is, I'm just trying to figure out how you've wired it together.

AUDIO WIKILEAKS:
You can buy high end silver wire on epay or a jewelry supplier.  You can buy silver solder from numerous sources as well, you'll need a 60watt soldering iron to be able to melt the silver.  It's easier and cheaper to find silver wire without sheathing/cover so buy some shrink tubing to seal it.  Silver will oxidize faster than copper and break down chemically to the point where it will effect the signal.  Wear gloves when handling any exposed wire and wipe it down with rubbing alcohol prior to sealing it in shrink tubing.

One wire goes to the tilt (positive).  One wire goes to the (bridge) ground.  It's not magic...   :laugh:

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 10:52:59 AM »
He sells  high end speaker wire and patch cords made out of silver wire, not the components... do a google search with the words silver speaker wire... not a lot of  folks doing this I think...