Author Topic: Greetings from a newbie  (Read 3940 times)

Offline TappingCure

• FNG !!!
Greetings from a newbie
« on: September 25, 2013, 02:52:51 PM »
Hey Hi,

I will probably just lurk on the forum until I have anything to contribute--if & when. A lifelong lover of radio, I am a 60 year old female. Not yet sure if this will be a serious hobby. I love looking at vintage radios and hope to buy something cool some day. But until then, I'll learn more about them. I live in Massachusetts with my husband and four cats. Lots of vinyl records, cassette tapes and cds. Hate anything with little earbuds. Someone gave me an iPod but I have no patience for loading it up with tunes. Sad to see record stores disappear. I'm not too thrilled with the way radio programming is going, either. What's a gal to do?

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Greetings from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 03:19:21 PM »
You like cassettes, you are good people in my book.  Welcome to the forum!

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 03:41:52 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Lots of good people here.  As the Captain said, anyone that enjoys taping is alright. 

SunnyDaze

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 03:52:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

I've lost interest in the tape realm for the moment. I'm a bad person. And I smell funny.

Have you ever given AM radio a try? In the evenings you can pick up some fantastic stuff if you have a sufficient tuner and antenna. Zoomer 740 out of Toronto is a tremendous golden oldies station. :)

Offline treos33

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
A lifelong lover of radio, I am a 60 year old female.

I feel like I just saw a unicorn. Welcome to the forum!
Desk:
ObjectiveDAC, Technics SL-1500 w/ Grado Black Cart -> NAD 1000 pre -> Emotiva Airmotiv 4
Bedroom:
Creek 4330R -> DefTech StudioMonitor 450
Home Theater:
Onkyo TX-NR809, Rotel RB-981 -> Boston Acoustics VR-40, VR-12 Center, Soundware surrounds, Velodyne VRP-1200

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 07:04:46 PM »
Welcome TappingCure !!!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 08:06:29 PM »
Welcome Tappingcure.  I too love the radio, especially the public stations.  Tape is cool too, especially open reels.  You need to connect with Anders on this Forum. He is the king of radio, especially the old tube units.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Bunni

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 09:49:22 AM »
Welcome!  53 year old female here!  Where in MA are you?  My kids and I spent 20 years of our lives there before coming to PA in 1996.  I'm very homesick!  My husband, Anders, is the repair tech at Vintage Hi Fi of Pittsburgh.  He collects antique radios and TVs and restores them.  I think there are some pics of some of them in the media section.  Have a look!

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 10:25:08 AM »
Welcome to the forum!
Got Carver?

Offline Reverend

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 10:36:14 AM »
Welcome!

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 01:29:29 PM »
Welcome Tappingcure!

Lot's of nice folks here.  Some of us are vintage LOL!  We all enjoy music a good group of people.  I hope you will join in on the conversations.
Carl

Offline TappingCure

• FNG !!!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 09:21:39 AM »
Thank you all for the welcome! I rather like being a unicorn, as opposed to, say... a dinosaur  ;) To SunnyDaze: I haven't spent much time with the AM band, but maybe if I can get a receiver that will pull more stations, that will change. I like shortwave, and have a Grundig Yacht Boy at work. Reception's not very good but sometimes I am lucky. I listen to radio for much of the day with headphones on. And MacGeek: most of my listening is to a few pretty good public radio stations here in Boston; WBUR 90.9, WGBH 89.7 and WUMB 91.9. Looking forward to communicating with you and others on this forum.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 11:13:47 AM »
What part of Boston?   I went to Boston Conservatory and lived in the North Shore area (Chelesa then Malden) for ten years.   My wife was born and raised in Sommerville (near Tufts, north of Davis Sq).

Offline TappingCure

• FNG !!!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 01:48:49 PM »
Hi MarkShan,

I attended New England Conservatory, graduated in '75--Diploma in FLute Performance. I used to live near Davis Square from about 1981-88 but I live in Woburn now, where I work. What did you major in at Boston Conservatory?