Author Topic: Nice Rack  (Read 14895 times)

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Nice Rack
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 11:51:53 AM »
I always liked the PS-400's, I think I sold one to you.  I had two of them years ago running mono on a pair of Maggies.  Very neutral sounding amps.

And for PBJ's benefit:

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 12:20:08 PM »
Thanks rev. It gives the zoo a whole new meaning

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 11:28:34 PM »
I have a lot of  respect for Crown.  They really do seem to care a great deal about quality and not just brute force. Now I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I've never heard an amp that sounds better in bridge mode.  Tried a handful of various types and the bass gets loose.  They just seem to loose a great deal of woofer damping. Try your amps in stereo mode and I bet the bass gets tighter and more defined.  You could even "vertically" amp your system.  Use one channel from each 400 for your mains and the other channel for the lower powered Hafler speakers. This frees up the power supply somewhat. 

"Not the most accurate system by far, but just plain enjoyable".....that's exactly what this hobby is about. You can spend a lot of time and money chasing the dragon.  I gave that up long ago.   I currently have the least expensive stereo that I've owned in some time yet is my most enjoyable.

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 09:39:56 AM »
I have a lot of  respect for Crown.  They really do seem to care a great deal about quality and not just brute force. Now I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I've never heard an amp that sounds better in bridge mode.  Tried a handful of various types and the bass gets loose.  They just seem to loose a great deal of woofer damping. Try your amps in stereo mode and I bet the bass gets tighter and more defined.  You could even "vertically" amp your system.  Use one channel from each 400 for your mains and the other channel for the lower powered Hafler speakers. This frees up the power supply somewhat. 

"Not the most accurate system by far, but just plain enjoyable".....that's exactly what this hobby is about. You can spend a lot of time and money chasing the dragon.  I gave that up long ago.   I currently have the least expensive stereo that I've owned in some time yet is my most enjoyable.

I am always open to better ways of wiring up my system and since everything is self contained in a rack on wheels, making changes is simple as wheeling out the rackand turning it around. No having to be a contortionist. 1/4" jacks make easy work of this.  just slide them in and out. No wiggling of pesky, tight rca jacks.

As far as loose bass is concerned, that duty is handled by 3 velodyne servo subs. (one left, one right, and one stereo.  with nine 4" drivers in each cab, bass is very controlled.

I want to thank all of you for not bose bashing my system.

901's sound like shit when mated with a common reciever. I'll admit that. Put well over 500 watts into these things and it's a whole new ball game. It mesmerizes everyone who has had the chance to audition it.  Even after having this configuration for years, I still am left with goosebumps.  No crossovers to worry about, the amps are bullet proof. You can play this system just below clipping for days without fear of blowing anything; except something in my breaker box.

Clarity and detail is not what this system was designed for. At levels where many systems, begin to falter, this one is just coming in to itself.

I invite everyone in this forum to come and hear it for yourself. Beer and Tequila is always plentiful.
Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 04:15:07 PM »
Holy crap Rev!!!  ;D  We need more of that around here!!!
Carl

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 11:25:46 PM »
Now you promised, no Bose bashing
Main system

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2013, 11:46:01 PM »

As far as loose bass is concerned, that duty is handled by 3 velodyne servo subs. (one left, one right, and one stereo.  with nine 4" drivers in each cab, bass is very controlled.

I know the days of the 18" woofer are all but gone, but is this right?   It has to be a typo, doesn't it?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 11:47:35 PM »
Never mind.   I realized you were talking about the 901s.   You didn't mention them in this post and I thought you were saying the subs had nine 4" drivers.

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 12:14:54 AM »
Never mind.   I realized you were talking about the 901s.   You didn't mention them in this post and I thought you were saying the subs had nine 4" drivers.

Upon review, I realized the same. The velo's are their standard issue paper cone, 12's They do a good job at cancellling harmonics and keeping things at a fundamental level. Velodyne claims it's linear. They continue to perform as promised. Remember, this is late 80's technology. Bottom line; These things go deep at very low volumes. I buy them up pretty cheap whenever some wife somewhere tells her man, "these have to go"

Thanx for your post
Main system

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 12:45:06 AM »
By the way as long as boredum is still keeping you up? Here is a little factoid. I have read and tried just about every mod on the famed radio shack LX5 speaker. They are the ones that had the "Linaeum" tweeter. In the right hands, these things could have been the best kept secret in audio. only problem, In stock form, they sorta suck.

So for all who have or want to modify them, don't bother. I have the perfect fix. Just run them through a bbe 362 sonic maximizer. (I would hope you already have a cheap but capable sub cuz on their own, they (remember), sorta suck)  They now rival just about anything best buy could throw at you. These are the mains Powered by the PS-200 and are doing exceptional duty as my bedroom mains.

OK goodnight. and special thanks to the reverend, for selling me my first PS-400.  If you see any locally, Please let me know. It is my intention to own every one in the greater Pittsburgh area.
Main system

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 11:56:14 PM »
Who don't like a nice rack!!!!!!!

wow !!
toying with the attainment of a crown straight line two pre to take the place of the peavy mixer I currently use. The peavy gives me unlimited control of my system. with 2 outputs, I direct the left and right subs along with the mains to one output and my stereo velodyne is controlled by it's own channel, allowing me to shake things up a bit with the simple use of a slider to add voltage to that sub alone.  I can't get this this from a typical pre. But im sure the sound of the "crown straight line two" will make it a wiser choice.

anyway Your system is gorgeous! You and I seem to have the same ideology as to chasing the dragon.
Main system

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 12:03:04 AM »
Very nice set-up. I've got a DC300A at the shop right now for repairs. I'm thinking of (when I have the cash) putting together a crown system. Maybe with the IC preamp. I'm not sure what other gear crown put out as far as tape/cd/turntables, but I'm sure I can find something that matches. As far as speakers... What matches well with Crown? JBL?
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 07:23:37 AM »
Very nice set-up. I've got a DC300A at the shop right now for repairs. I'm thinking of (when I have the cash) putting together a crown system. Maybe with the IC preamp. I'm not sure what other gear crown put out as far as tape/cd/turntables, but I'm sure I can find something that matches. As far as speakers... What matches well with Crown? JBL?

Well Dr. Amar Bose used the Crown DC300 as the bench amp to develop the 901

Crown makes everything sound good
Main system

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 10:20:17 AM »
I don't know that Crown ever made sources.   It certainly isn't what they are known for, they are a pro audio company.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 12:38:47 PM »
Crown made some killer RTR decks. Models 700 & 800 are good examples