Author Topic: My setup (M-500t + C-1)  (Read 2538 times)

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
My setup (M-500t + C-1)
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:20:25 AM »
I am so glad to tell you guys I have finally got (most of) my setup up and running!

Amp: Carver M-500t
Pre:   Carver C-1
Spks: Klipsch Forte II (black)
TT:  Project Debut III
CD:  Yamaha CDX-730 (skips) -- Looking to replace/upgrade
Tape: Sony TC-XXXXX (POS "muffled sounding") -- Looking to replace/upgrade
Tuner: Carver TX-2 (Pretty decent) -- Looking for a good antenna
EQ: SAE Two EQ-10

------Originally I was running a Sony STR-6200f and really liked it.  It was relatively warm and had a decent amt of power -- great receiver.  Then I blew that up -- Bummer, that thing should be being put to use somewhere.  Until last night I was getting by with some huge POS Onkyo HT receiver that sounded shrill and just sucked!  I then had the opportunity to get an M-500t, so I did, but it had remained unplugged for the last 3 months as I was saving/searching for a preamp.  Times goes on and I finally found a C-1, modded, its pretty awesome so I pulled the trigger on it.

Stoked out of my mind, I begin to hook up all the necessary connections and get ready to sit down with a cold beer and enjoy my system.  The first track drops...

WOW.  Now my sony was good, never THIS good.   I don't know if it sounded THAT much better because of me having to listen to that onkyo for the last few months but I was truly blown away.  Not sure if this is possibly the new amp/pre made my speakers sound less directional?  Before I felt like they were shooting a high powered beam at my chest/face.  Now they filled up the room a lot more , like the "small box" sound of the speakers disappeared and sound-stage was huge.  The M-500t is warm as hell.  In my opinion, really shines with these Klipsch Forte II's.  Big bass chest pumping bass with extreme clarity, but not shrillness/harshness.  I am hearing pick nuances, backup harmonies,  and vocalist taking breaths between lines and all kind of stuff i had previously been missing.  C-1 is clean, clear, and under control,  very nice and seems to be a great match for M-500t.  It also has more than enough aux inputs and such that I dont feel limited what all I can hook up at once.

One thing I have noticed is that due to all the nuances coming thru and being showcased, it has brought forth the shortcommings of my CD player and Tape Deck. 

Just wanted to drop my mini-review of my new equip.  For me, for you, for whoever.   Big thanks to you guys on here who got me set up.

Will post pics soon

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Re: My setup (M-500t + C-1)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 12:44:33 PM »
 >:D
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 01:07:10 PM »
How did the repair go?

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 02:58:56 PM »
8 watts..  I was gonna lie and tell you I already did it, but BJ was at my place last night and would more than likely call me out!  So, I still haven't repaired it (I know your rolling your eyes right now)  but the tear will be repaired by no later than Monday.  I just hadn't had time to go get the glue and holiday BS an everything else.  Monday tho for sure.

But seriously this amp/pre is pretty ridiculous.  I'v noticed 2 other things since I hooked them up.  One being that you dont really need to listen as loudly because you can pick out aspects of the recording you would normally have to have the volume jacked to hear, or at least, kind of hear.  Two, that when you are listening loudly,  It it doesn't hurt my ears as bad as it would with a crappier amp or receiver.  If sound were visible (like smoke) it would be completely engulfing the listener, not shooting a beam at them