Author Topic: Question about current system  (Read 1718 times)

Offline ST-Rider

• Double Secret Probation!
Question about current system
« on: January 06, 2014, 01:48:35 PM »
My current living room setup is a Carver C5 Preamp, Carver TFM22 Amp, and a couple of Paradigm Monitor 7 v.4 speakers.

Main source of music is a Squeezebox Touch.

I'm not unhappy with the sound, I'm just not that experienced in different pieces, so I'm curious on opinions as to what the best upgrade would be for this system. Maybe to someone that knows more it's obvious that if I only changed/upgraded "X" to "Y", it would make a world of difference....then again, maybe it's all too subjective to answer...

thanks!
Carver C5
Carver TFM22
Paradigm Monitor 7 v.4

bmwr75

Re: Question about current system
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 03:02:44 PM »
The DAC is the Touch might be the weak link.  New DACs are all the rage now.

I am not familiar with the rest of your gear, so can't comment.

Setting up your speakers optimally for your room can be the biggest bang for your buck.

http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_main.php

SunnyDaze

Re: Question about current system
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:52:51 PM »
You should try to listen to as many different systems as you can. You may find that, comparatively speaking, your system sounds fantastic to your ears. The more you listen to different gear, the more you can identify sound characteristics that suit your listening tastes. Once that happens, you can begin to target gear that is suited to your ears.  ???  ???  ???

Those Paradigms are good speakers. They're not the final authority in dynamics or detail, and they are a bit on the "dark" side, but, they're definitely well built, durable, fun speakers that hold their resale value well.  ;D  ;D  ;D