Author Topic: Carver AL-III Plus  (Read 4818 times)

bearjew

Carver AL-III Plus
« on: January 11, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »
Well guys, I'm selling my AL-III's.  They're in perfect condition, but the wooden panels are a little rough around the edges (I can post pics later; it's really not noticeable).  The speakers are the best AL-III's you'll ever heard, OCCD will attest to this.  He modded the crossover, and he slapped JL drivers in there.  As with all Carver ribbons, they image beautifully, and since they're modded, they have a wider frequency response, and the low-end is more accurate.  They also come with River Current jumper cables.  I'll post pictures later when I have a chance.  I'm looking to get $1700 OBO for them.  I know it's steep for AL-III's, but anyone who has heard them will agree it's worth the money.  if you have any questions, let me know.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: Carver AL-III Plus
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 12:52:17 PM »
WTF you getting in place Jewie???
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 03:35:41 PM »
Gay Thiel CS5 speakers:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/690thiel/

I would get those ALIIIs but I have so much fun maintaining the Infinitys - they have so many drivers there is always one in need of attention.

>:D

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 04:27:22 PM »
His AL-III+ speakers are awesome

Offline sk1335

• Frank Lloyd Wrong
  • Play it loud, Play it often!
    • Dimension Design Services
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 06:30:20 PM »
You're out of your frigging mind!
Family Rm: Carver Lightstar 2.0, Carver C-19, Sony CDP x777es, NHT 3.3, Yamaha PF 800 TT
Garage: Carver Lightstar 2.0, Carver C-19, Sony CDP 707esd, Denon DP-51 TT, JBL L5 (JL Audio Modded)
Living Rm: Harman-Kardon 775 Monoblocks, Apt Holmann Pre

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 12:00:22 PM »
BJ, are you drunk? $1700?? Good luck with that one.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 12:18:44 PM »
There are three options with AL-III's
 Get stock ones for 500-900 depending on the wings and be happy with decent sounding speakers that suck on the bass.

Or

Get stock ones and rebuild them. You are gonna sink some money into the woofers and x over parts

Or

buy a set that is done and awesome.

The $1700 is actually in the ball park based on the fact that the original cost was 800 with good ribbons.

I have a set of AL-III's right now that need rebuilt ribbons. They are for sale for $ tree fiddy. Have at it...

I am putting up a set of rebuilt plats soon.  new everything.  They will sell for 2k
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 06:02:09 PM »
If they sound really spectacular and you can bend like like Gumby on price I may be interested.  Do these come with a 30 day in-home trial like Emotiva?  Do they have the virtual surround sound feature that I hear with Rev's?  How bad is the damage on the wood wings?  Is he price in dollars or pesos?  Can you send me hi-res pictures of the speakers to my personal email (will forward that via PM).

Thanks,

Pepe