Author Topic: Anyone for a review?  (Read 7567 times)

Offline GraphicFX

• Double Secret Probation!
Anyone for a review?
« on: January 14, 2014, 01:31:29 AM »
Julian Hirsh
   I am not. Judd Hursh, would probably be more appropriate..
A review on my SS TL-6 Transmission Line speakers:

An accurate assumption; they are sleepers. Who would ever even audition any speaker bearing the Sony brand. If not for this forum, I never would have known of their existence. In fact, based on my lack of much internet data on them, they are not much more then a rumor.

As a faithful lover of Bose 901's, My blank slate in which to reference these somewhat odd speakers, might be a bit biased. but take it for what it is.

Right off the bat, I finally figured out why one searches for the essence of true Hi-Fi. These monitors deliver a sound that I can only describe as thick and consuming. I find myself running for my chair located in the ever changing sweet-spot. Let's start with the mid range.

Unexpectedly smooth would best describe my first and still lasting impression. Mildly colored and somewhat overly damped. but still allowing anticipated crescendo's to push through. Kinda like that lady you've had your eyes on all night, suddenly winking at you. They, as most decent speakers, are very revealing. My peavy mixer must go in place of a real preamp.

when I compare these Sony's to my 901,s, the Sony's beat them hands down except for one thing;
Emotion.

Putting 530 watts of Crown Power through anything that will tolerate them, I promise you, will deliver some serious emotion. The Sony's are not even a condender. They just arent built for that kind of punishment. So I have given up the possibility of ever going home with that chick who winked at me in favor of a delicate flower who over time will probably bore me to death.

The Highs
surprisingly unfatiguing and defined. Much to my amazement, well balanced. There is a unmistaken subdued brightness that can only be described as alluring without drawing much attention to itself.

The Lows.
I haven't done much other then lowering the volume of my 3 Velodyne F1200's. Most likely, because they were set-up with the amps turned on max gain to satisfy the thirst of my 901's. I now understand why there is such a following of Transmission Line design. Lows are delivered with patience and understanding, as if they were awaiting their turn in line. Musical and uncolored. I've auditioned many high end speakers from the likes of Kef, Klipsch, Polk, Thiel, Martin logan, and even high end Bostons. That gives me enough of a baseline to with mild accuracy, make a judgement call. I have never heard bass thrown at me especially from an 8" rear firing woofer, with the kind of authority and transparancy as these Sony's. Uncolored in a way I have never experienced.

The Review
I could go on and on, but in review, I am very impressed with the performance of these consumer level speakers. My only real complaint would be the lack of definition of male vocals. I keep waiting for them to separate from the sweetness of the rest of the music, yet, time and time again, I am let down. I believe, a more defined preamp would aid in rescuing them from obscurity, but it's a trade off for the overall transparency these speakers deliver.
Gone is the involving emotion of force feeding raw power into the best that the late Dr. Amar Bose has to offer, which in my mind, is one experience which will be sadly missed.

Other then that, my $200 investment was a good one. These Sony TL-6's deliver with warmth, clarity and a decent soundstage. If I ever sell them, I would recommend them to anyone wanting hi-fi, at a dollar store price.

My 2 Cents worth...
Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Anyone for a review?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 06:28:51 AM »
I feel like I just read an article in Stereophile.  Well done.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Reverend

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:24:26 AM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 09:29:04 AM »
You must have completed the college poetry class I walked out on and subsequently dropped.

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 03:43:59 PM »
Excellent review.  Thanks for taking the time to post.

Having owned the SS-TL5 (same speaker with a different tweeter)   I think you are on the right track with your comment,
" My peavy mixer must go in place of a real pre-amp."

Maybe see if Tom can loan you a good Pre, and see for yourself what you have been missing.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »
Great review - thanks for taking the time to write it.  Everything I read about this line of speakers is positive. They are in my bucket list.  ::)

Offline Resident

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 05:38:09 PM »
I would have to agree and having heard the 5s, I think you are spot on.  Unbelievable that Sony can make such great products.

Great review
Micromega IA-400
Toshiba SD9200 N
Sony PS X75
Mission 775
Jamo D830 Concert 8

SunnyDaze

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 05:40:05 PM »
You must have completed the college poetry class I walked out on and subsequently dropped.

Was this before or after the disco dance class? :)

GFX - Great post. Very solid review.

I'm glad you are enjoying the Sony TLS speakers. Once you get everything all set up and all the kinks worked out, I'm sure you'll get even more enjoyment out of your gear.

I've never owned the Sony TLS line, but, I did hear Little Mikey's and they definitely did not fail to impress!

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 06:10:20 PM »
Very nice write up!  Nice detailed and articulate perpective.  Thanks for taking the time to share with us!
Carl

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 11:31:39 PM »
Thanx to all for raising the bar in my quest for the musical holy grail
Main system

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 06:56:03 AM »
Thanks for the review... you got pics to post???  ???
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 08:09:45 AM »
Thanks for the review... you got pics to post???  ???

Pics are coming along with a small list of some gear I must get rid of.

Anyone have an Adcom preamp that is collecting dust somewhere?
Main system

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
Ask Jim Pit, he may have a spare adcom pre