Author Topic: Carver Amazing Platinums - Update -  (Read 8781 times)

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: Carver Amazing Platinums - Update -
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2014, 10:38:09 AM »
I noticed that something changed about the musicality of the speakers yesterday.  One cause that I am addressing today is that I put the new grill on top of the old,  assuming the difference in transparence would be minimal.  I think the acoustical transparence diminished significantly,  and  some of the critical 80-150 hz info is getting muddled.  That is an easy fix. 

The grill cloth really shouldn't have any effect in this range, however the distance to your wall has a very critical effect. Is there any chance you moved the speakers from where they were initially while you were working on them? Even toe-in can have a major effect in dipole setups. Or did you tape them off where they were so you have a constant reference? The wavelengths are so long around that frequency that they shouldn't have any interference with the cloth, only 8khz+ should be altered, but your cloth doesn't cover the ribbons so you don't have to worry about that.
Just my $.02

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2014, 10:39:56 AM »
Ok - removed the redundant layer of grill material and that helped a lot.  I took the felt off of both ribbons,  and to my ears it sounds better w/o.  Will store the felt with the old cross-overs.  Listening to an old Naxos recording of Malcolm Arnold Dances (Rev - we need to add fLACs of these to the server) on the CD-80.  Sounds great.  That damn CD80 still gives the Oppo a run for its money. 

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 11:25:53 AM »
Excellent!  I', glad you took off the extra grill cloth and to your ears the speakers sound better w/o the felt.  All that matters is what you hear with your ears in your room.  Our opinions don't count LOL!
Carl

Offline Reverend

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 01:35:07 PM »
Have you applied any Hello Kitty mods to them yet to match your modded Sunfire?   :laugh:

Offline sk1335

• Frank Lloyd Wrong
  • Play it loud, Play it often!
    • Dimension Design Services
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 05:09:48 PM »
Yeah - Like Rev said - let's hear about the Hello Kitty Mods - MEOW!
Family Rm: Carver Lightstar 2.0, Carver C-19, Sony CDP x777es, NHT 3.3, Yamaha PF 800 TT
Garage: Carver Lightstar 2.0, Carver C-19, Sony CDP 707esd, Denon DP-51 TT, JBL L5 (JL Audio Modded)
Living Rm: Harman-Kardon 775 Monoblocks, Apt Holmann Pre

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 01:43:31 AM »
I have had more Carver ribbons than most people  have had girlfriends. I am enjoying this thread, 
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Anders

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2014, 05:11:35 AM »
I have over 2000 classical LPs and most are great but there is only one classical CD I like and its Mozart piano concerto #13 on Bainbridge label.
Very much like sitting at a real concert.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2014, 09:30:10 AM »
I have had more Carver ribbons than most people  have had girlfriends. I am enjoying this thread,

The question is:  Have YOU had more ribbons than girl friends??  LOL!  >:D :laugh: O0
Carl

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2014, 10:23:59 AM »
At some point I will schedule a formal geek meeting at the basement to have some of you guys over for a listen. In the meantime,  if you are near Peters township one of these evenings or during the weekend, PM me and will do my best to accommodate a listen.

I am definitely partial to ribbons. The sound is just more realistic to my ears. The Carver 60" line source is hard to beat,  even if you have to have them rebuilt every so many years.

Offline sk1335

• Frank Lloyd Wrong
  • Play it loud, Play it often!
    • Dimension Design Services
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2014, 06:09:33 PM »
Screw the ribbons - give the people what they really want! - We want to hear about the Hello Kitty Mods - MEOW!
Family Rm: Carver Lightstar 2.0, Carver C-19, Sony CDP x777es, NHT 3.3, Yamaha PF 800 TT
Garage: Carver Lightstar 2.0, Carver C-19, Sony CDP 707esd, Denon DP-51 TT, JBL L5 (JL Audio Modded)
Living Rm: Harman-Kardon 775 Monoblocks, Apt Holmann Pre

Offline Rockman Rock

• Double Secret Probation!
  • How about a taxi grab.....
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
Nice work Pepe!
Salk SoundScape 8's / Audio Research Reference 3 / Bottlehead Eros Phono / Krell KSA-250 / diy Lenco w/AA MG-1 arm / diy Dual Mono Buffalo III DAC / Denon 3910 I2S/DSD out mod / SB Touch 12S out mod / diy Cinemag SUT