Author Topic: Live Music  (Read 20176 times)

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
Live Music
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:50:54 AM »
I have a weakness for live recordings, some of which seem to really capture a moment in history.  Also, I think you get a better feel for the music without all the over dubbing and technical tricks performed in the studios.  Thought some of you might like to suggest some great live recordings you listen to. 

Two of my favorites are Little Feat, Waiting for Columbus (Rhino/Hot Tomato CD), and The Allman BROS, Live at the Fillmore (SACD).

On vinyl I have long been hooked Jimi Hendrix/Otis Redding Live at the Monterrey Pop.  I originally bought this in my youth (99 cents in the cutouts, remember them) for the Hendrix cuts, but was totally blown away by Reddings performance.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

BB3

Re: Live Music
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:53:14 PM »
Dale, here are some that I suggest........

1.) Pink Floyd---Pulse
2.) David Gilmour---Live In Gdansk
3.) James Taylor---I Forget The Name,Sorry. The One That Was Issued In 1993(Double CD)
4.) Maxwell---MTV Recordings
5.) Alicia Keys---MTV Recordings

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 02:40:07 PM »
BB3,

I would be interested in all but 1 of your suggestions.  I cant help but think that JT concert (from the amphitheater with the tree people, Neil Young has a live show in the same venue) is the 1 everyone used for demo at the beginning of this whole surround thing (and I forget the title too).  I really had enough of it back then.  I have seen both James and Livingston Taylor, and not real crazy about either (All their music sounds the same to me and not enough tempo changes).

Though I cant help but sing along with "I'm a dump truck baby".

And how could I forget "Live Rust".  Also Neil get a lot of respect from me for pushing high rez audio when it was noot popular.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 02:50:20 PM »
Here are a few good ones.

Santana: Sacred Fire - Live In South America
Ricky Lee Jones: Naked Songs
Rolling Stones: Stripped
Nirvana: Unplugged in New York  

Ron
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 02:54:52 PM »
"Friday Night in San Francisco" - Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin and Paco DeLucia

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 03:14:43 PM »
Keep the suggestions coming!

I forgot "Friday Night" a selection I heartily agree with, but I am not sure Stripped (the ONLY Stones CD to NOT get daily airplay in PGH for some odd reason and 1 of my favorites) counts as this was without an audience.

Is the Ricki Lee a live studio performance or is there an audience?

I will be looking for the Santana, as that is I my favorite old bands.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline Reverend

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 03:19:36 PM »
"Kick out the jams" - MC5  (my favorite  :D)

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 03:20:58 PM »
The Rickie Lee Jones is recorded in front of a live audience.

Seems like the main interest here is in rock. But I have several live Jazz recommendations if you are interested.
Let me know

Ron
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 03:44:05 PM »
Sarah Mclachlan's live cd is great. Not sure what it's titled, but the recording is awesome. Great clarity and very deep, clean bass.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 03:51:03 PM »
JAZZ IS COOL!   Plus I finally found a place to put a smiley, how do you put them in to your post?  8), this is what I get for cool when I double click.  I listen to a lot of Jazz, Coltane, Miles, Nina Simone (getting a lot of play for the last few months), Big Bands (Goodman, Ellington/Strayhorn, Dorsey BROS), Lady Day, Arthur and Red Prysock, Dinah Washington.  It is all good.  What do you suggest live?
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline Reverend

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 04:03:16 PM »
"At the village vanguard" - Bill Evans

Offline Reverend

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 04:06:10 PM »
another great live jazz album, "Miles and Monk at Newport" - Miles Davis / Thelonious Monk

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 04:08:13 PM »
As I understand it there is a whole series of Vanguard Jazz Concerts available.  I still have not got any of them.  Ahh!  Newport, I ahve fond memories and a Tshirt from a seventies Newport Jazz concert.  Great venue, but a total pain to get into!
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline Reverend

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 04:14:37 PM »
As I understand it there is a whole series of Vanguard Jazz Concerts available.

I think you're right.  I have a Rollins and Coltrane album recorded there also.

BB3

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »
confused,

I fully understand about the whole James Taylor thing. The main reason I listed it was because of how well it was recorded and the extent they went to get it that way.

They specifically used Sony Mics that were run directly into a Sony Digital PreAmp and straight into a Sony D.A.T.. At that point they took only the "best" performances out of all of the concerts and then put it on CD using Sony's Super Bit Mapping process. The results are spectacular.

Of course, I would never tell you what to do confused, but it is definitely worth a serious listen my friend. I know you'll be impressed.

Take Care Of Yourself confused and Happy Listening.------BILL