Author Topic: My "new to me" Klipsch Heresys  (Read 14304 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
My "new to me" Klipsch Heresys
« on: June 28, 2014, 10:33:36 PM »
Too tired to unbox them tonight, but this should whet the appetite...

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
Re: My "new to me" Klipsch Heresys
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 10:53:04 PM »
Tease me!   >:D
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 03:49:55 PM »
I'm listening now.   First I did side two of Abbey Road and now I am playing "Voyageur" by Kathleen Edwards.

So far, my reaction is mixed.   I don't love them the way I do the LaScalas that they share so many components with.   There are things that already I can see they do amazingly well, and there are things I already don't like.   They are an improvement over my Technics SB-L200s that I was quite happy with, but they aren't the jaw dropping improvement I had expected them to be.

Of course, given the story that they have sat in a box for 30 years (and I believe that story to be true), I want to give them some time to brake in before I reach any hard conclusions.   I also think they might benefit from a recap.   These are the caps I had planned.   Opinions?

One of these for the highs... http://www.parts-express.com/audyn-cap-q4-33uf-400v-mkp-metalized-polypropylene-foil-crossover-capacitor--027-121

Two of these for the mids... http://www.parts-express.com/solen-20uf-400v-polypropylene-capacitor--027-534

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 03:59:16 PM »
Something doesn't seem right. Should be smaller cap for tweeter. Do you have the xover schematic?
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 04:12:08 PM »
Ron, what an opportune time for my favorite speaker guru to show up.   I would certainly value any input you can give.

I don't have a schematic, but I took pics while I was getting the values last night.   I could have it backwards as far as mid and high caps go.   Would that make sense?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 04:13:46 PM »
BTW, the link to those Solens says "20uF", but they are 2.0uF caps.   The decimal point would probably screw up the url.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 04:44:15 PM »
BTW, my wife likes the look and the sound better than the Technics.   That is a win for sure.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 04:58:24 PM »
Certain spots of GnR "Appetite" sounded very shrill.   I thought the speakers didn't like harsh sounding music.   However, my daughter just put on her new David Guetta album and though I was expecting the worst, it sounds really good.   Now I am thinking perhaps these speakers are just more revealing of a bad pressing than I am used to.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 05:45:15 PM »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 05:50:21 PM »
The bass is better than I was lead to believe on these.   Sure, there is no deep bass, but I knew that going in.   However, the bass that is there is very musical sounding.   Listening to disco era Bee Gees right now (my wife is a fan), the kick on "Stayin' Alive" sure doesn't punch you in the chest like it's supposed to, but it sounds very convincing never the less.   I suspect that running a sub at 80 down with these would give a great result.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 06:48:37 PM »
Very nice looking cabinets!  Congrats on your new speakers!
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »
You can tell that they are shipped "raw" and left to the owner to finish.   I would have masked off the baffle before I urethaned.   I am thrilled that they are in such excellent condition, though.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 08:50:34 PM »
Very nice looking Heresys!

Here's a good post on DIYAudio regarding modifying the E2 crossovers, if you're interested:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/245308-amp-klipsch-heresy.html#post3691824

If you'd like me to stop over with any of my tube amps, let me know!

Dicky

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 08:54:31 PM »
I wasn't too impressed with the Heresy, but I only gave them a chance on about 3 songs.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 09:00:24 PM »
I wasn't too impressed with the Heresy, but I only gave them a chance on about 3 songs.

I'm waiting for you to send me a bill for storing them this long!  ;D