Author Topic: My "new to me" Klipsch Heresys  (Read 14237 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: My "new to me" Klipsch Heresys
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 08:50:43 AM »
STaL
I would also replace the dual wound iron core choke with 2 air cores. I can measure the values if you bring it over.

Ron

Do they go bad or are you just thinking there will be a sonic improvement?

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2014, 10:25:28 AM »
There's some theoretical improvement due to saturation of the iron core, although it would probably be prohibitively expensive to go from the iron core to an air core with the same values. You may actually have to add in series resistance to match the dcr in those iron cores from an air core. I'm going to guess you're looking in the $25-40 range for each. If both of the ones you have measure well, then I wouldn't bother, but that's your call. I see no reason they shouldn't still be to spec.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2014, 12:02:20 PM »
That's actually what I am thinking as well, but I am interested in Ron's opinion as he has the best sounding speakers I have heard.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »
Two things:
1) there will usually be a lower DCR in an iron core as opposed to air core as there is more wire in an air core.
2) The reason I'm suggesting 2 separate inductors is that there will be serious crosstalk/distortion between the two coils sharing the same iron core.

Make that three things.......
3) I doubt the inductors will be very expensive as they should be fairly low inductance. They need to be measured to be sure.
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline AdamG

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 03:19:40 PM »
They are 2.5mh from what I can find (double check the actual measurements if you plan on going forward though), which puts you here: http://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=2.5mh&sitesearch=true (schematic:  http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af174/jeffhoak/Projects/TypeE.jpg )

Here's a fun forum discussion on the upgrades: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/29829-inductor-upgrade-for-heresy-12-ga-vs-14-ga-wire/

I'd probably not bother, the low-end on the heresys isn't worth saving imo, I'd probably go with putting that money towards a nice subwoofer.

(Might I suggest: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-10-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-package--300-7091 ) (I know someone selling a nice amp for it too.  ;) )

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2014, 03:34:14 PM »
I'm not talking about the 2.5mH in the woofer circuit. I'm talking about the other dual coil/single core inductors in the mid/tweeter circuit.
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline AdamG

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2014, 04:06:39 PM »
Ohh I've gotcha. My bad!

Offline ataudio

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 08:34:19 PM »
Very nice speakers.  I've only heard them a few times over the years....if I recall they did sound very nice. They were paired up with a diy SE
tube amp.   It was an el84 running class A.  Low power but very nice sounding.

As far as recapping and swapping inductors....well, yes that's a mixed bag.  If you just refresh the components with new versions you stay true to the original voicing of the speakers.  If you change air core inductors for iron core inductors your DCR will change.  If you swap electrolytic
with film caps your ESR will change.  Both DCR and ESR are very measurable. Changing either may alter the original design goals.
This is not voodoo...it can be measured and can have an affect....maybe for the better.  I swapped electrolytic in my Advents for film
caps (Janzens) definitely for the worse.  if the highs and mids are too hot an L-pad can help.  If will also dampen the voice coil of each driver.
Just some food for thought. 

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2014, 09:24:56 PM »
I appreciate your thoughts, at.   I will say that one of the really great things about PWK's... ugh... frugality is that since he used terminal strips rather than PCB's, it should be pretty easy to try things and have them be totally reversible if I'm not happy.   Given that, I am inclined toward inexpensive experimentation.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2014, 10:19:50 PM »
All this talk of recapping made me go back and look at my Hereseys.   These are a very odd combination of components.   I notice that the woofer (K-22) and the tweeter (K-77) are the ones listed by Klipsch as being in the original Heresy.   But my mid (K-53) and xover (E-2) are the ones listed as being in the Heresy II.

Is this unusual?   Did they likely come from the era where the design was being changed?   Might te previous owner swapped something (it sure doesn't look like it)?

SunnyDaze

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2014, 10:24:41 PM »
Check the serial numbers and date yours appropriately.

There was a transition period where E2's went into HI's. It's not unheard of.

Aren't yours the HBR?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2014, 10:37:58 PM »
Yep, the HBR.   Pics on page one of this thread.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
It's not uncommon for the HBR line to have E2 XOs and K22 / K53 / K77 drivers.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2014, 07:54:23 AM »
My Heresys are HBRs with the E-2 XO as well.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
Well, how are you making out with your Hereseys? Those are gorgeous cabinets and that's the way I like to see them. I had a lot of fun with my Hereseys. I would second the suggestion of not worrying about fooling with the crossovers and add a subwoofer. I have a Rythmik http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F15.html that I used to fill in the low end. It was a really sweet setup. That way you can enjoy the tube sound a nice EL84 amp will provide to the Hereseys and still get the lows.
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran