Author Topic: summer storms  (Read 3085 times)

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
summer storms
« on: July 27, 2014, 10:46:32 PM »
I'm sitting on my patio under cover as it is rolling thru and it is getting pretty violent at times. At one point I was almost forced inside but I still had half of a cigar left. :O.   A few minutes later I heard sirens from emergency vehicles nearby. Wicked.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
Re: summer storms
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:44:24 AM »
Just had one roll thru here, gotta love the power of mother nature.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 08:48:53 AM »
Our basset hound had me up all night freaking out.   :P

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 06:07:59 PM »
I wonder what kind of rig it would take to realistically reproduce, outside, a thunderstorm with life like volumes and low frequency responnse
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:52:28 PM »
Enormous sound stage!  Great depth and dynamics!  LOL!   >:D
Carl

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:39:07 AM »
I wonder what kind of rig it would take to realistically reproduce, outside, a thunderstorm with life like volumes and low frequency responnse

I'm guessing something with a yield somewhere on the order of a dozen or so kilotons.  >:D

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 01:53:07 AM »

The Grateful Dead's Wall of Sound might have been able to do that.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

SunnyDaze

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 01:57:42 AM »

The Grateful Dead's Wall of Sound might have been able to do that.

I remember reading something a few years back that talked about the design of the system and mentioned how some parts of it are still in use (along with the Woodstock bins).

I'd have to agree F1. The Dead Wall of Sound was some serious stuff. There's enough moving mass there and it was certainly backed by enough power.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 02:11:00 AM »
The Dead Wall of Sound was some serious stuff. There's enough moving mass there and it was certainly backed by enough power.

Serious stuff indeed! There was enough moving mass to move my ass.  ;D

To date it was the best sound at a concert I've heard and I've been to a helluva lot of concerts.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 02:30:26 AM »
Speaking of storms; If anyone here has ever lived in the Shelocta / McIntyre / Indiana / Homer City area, you've had your brain rattled by thunder.

A buddy from undergrad who is now a climatologist explained to me that the greater Indiana, PA region is a "micro climate". The jet stream brings the air in. The air has to travel over the mountains. The longer path that the air follows over the Appalachians increases the velocity of the air as it continues along, forcing the warmer air upward. This sudden change in temperature results in a condensing effect over the region. This process is compounded by ionization of the local atmosphere resulting from the non-stop stream of airborne pollutants released by both Homer City and Beaver Run power stations.

The result; house rattling, roof shaking, window breaking thunder and lighting with a frequency greater than I ever thought I'd see in PA. I'm typically a lover of all things extreme weather, but, some of the storms up there were truly a bit much.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 06:37:20 AM »
The Deads wall of sound was powered by a few racks of MAC Mc 2300s.  The factory delivered them directly to the band.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77