Author Topic: Bob Carver / Emotiva  (Read 19528 times)

Offline Sandy

• FNG !!!
Bob Carver / Emotiva
« on: July 30, 2014, 09:07:40 AM »
Can someone explain to me what the relationship is between Bob and Emotiva? If I'm understanding correctly, Bob was in the picture and is now out of the picture and it all happened in short order. Basically I caught it as a Press Release and had never heard of Emotiva.

Thanks!

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
Re: Bob Carver / Emotiva
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:13:35 AM »
Bob was going to sell his tube amp buisness to them, and then the deal fell through.
Got Carver?

Offline Sandy

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:15:01 AM »
Ah, I see. Which might explain why Emotica has zero tube products? Is the product any good? Seriously, I had not heard of them prior to 48 hours ago....

bearjew

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 09:43:22 AM »
Emotiva isn't a bad company; their equipment generally specs out pretty well, and obviously, how it sounds is more or less up to the listener.  They wanted to add a line of tube equipment, so they were going to buy out Bob.  Bob was all about it at first, but I guess they were doing things he didn't like, so he bailed.  A good friend of mine is about to pick up a pair of the XPA-1 monoblocks, and Dicky on this forum has the XPA200.  I guess he'd be the guy to ask.

Offline Sandy

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 09:56:54 AM »
Emotiva isn't a bad company; their equipment generally specs out pretty well, and obviously, how it sounds is more or less up to the listener.  They wanted to add a line of tube equipment, so they were going to buy out Bob.  Bob was all about it at first, but I guess they were doing things he didn't like, so he bailed.  A good friend of mine is about to pick up a pair of the XPA-1 monoblocks, and Dicky on this forum has the XPA200.  I guess he'd be the guy to ask.
Many thanks, I'll ask him. Again, thank you!

Dicky

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 11:45:04 AM »
I love mine, and over winter will probably upgrade to the XPA-2.  8W and ESM have heard it too for more opinions.

Offline ESM

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 02:01:53 PM »
Synergy. Dicky has it. I only heard it on 1 pair of speakers so I cannot say it is end all, but Dickys' setup sounded very good. I personally am a fan of their 30 day in home trial. 

SunnyDaze

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:24:36 PM »
I have heard Dicky's setup with quite a variety of speakers. Technics Linear Phase SB-6060's, Fourier 6's, Polk RTi 150's, Polk Monitor 7's, Klipsch Heresys, and others I'm sure I am forgetting.

I like the overall sound of the Emovita amp / preamp combo. The sound is detailed and full without being overly bright. The bass is excellent. Midrange frequencies are clear and analytical. High frequencies are quick and up front without being too aggressive.

In addition, the gear is well built. Even the remote control for the Emovita preamp is a machined aluminum brick that is both aesthetically and functionally pleasant to operate.

What is the relationship to Bob? Emovita is his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.  >:D

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 11:59:57 PM »
Not to hijack the thread but I really liked my Fourier 6's.  Are yours all original?

SunnyDaze

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 12:03:09 AM »
Not to hijack the thread but I really liked my Fourier 6's.  Are yours all original?

I enjoy them too. I've been trying to get them off of Dicky for at least a year now. :)

Dicky

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 12:03:33 AM »
Other than foam, yes. 

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 01:05:10 PM »
Emotiva is good mid-fi gear.  Fairly reliable, better than average sound.
I have the 500w xpa 1's. They are good, but anything below 4 ohm dips they have trouble. Yes, dedicated 30amp line!  They claim to be stable, but are in fact NOT.
IM HAPPY WITH THEM FOR PRICE etc etc.  still considering selling and calling on the red 300w tubes carver is currently making. Or klaus at odyssey.  We will see

bearjew

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 02:27:21 PM »
Emotiva is good mid-fi gear.  Fairly reliable, better than average sound.
I have the 500w xpa 1's. They are good, but anything below 4 ohm dips they have trouble. Yes, dedicated 30amp line!  They claim to be stable, but are in fact NOT.
IM HAPPY WITH THEM FOR PRICE etc etc.  still considering selling and calling on the red 300w tubes carver is currently making. Or klaus at odyssey.  We will see

I have the XPA-1 Gen2 monoblocks, and they have no problem dropping below 4 ohms whatsoever.  I would pick them over any Sunfire amp.

Dicky

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 05:21:42 PM »
I wouldn't call Emotiva Mid-Fi, and I'd take them over any Carver I have heard.

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 06:43:08 PM »
It's definitely NOT in the real hi-fi. The top 5 not even close.

But it is good, no bs there! I am happy with them. I have the gen. 1 mono's
I was one ofthe first 5 to buy the special edition st. Jude mono blocks.

If I could trade in for the sunfire signature~two. I would in a New York minute

Sunfire all day every day, better sound.

I have one, blows pants off of the emo mono's.  In emotive defense, I love the sound of the xpa's, they are in your face, and make my upgraded D-9's sound awesome.