Author Topic: Bob Carver / Emotiva  (Read 19519 times)

bearjew

Re: Bob Carver / Emotiva
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 09:17:05 PM »
It's definitely NOT in the real hi-fi. The top 5 not even close.

But it is good, no bs there! I am happy with them. I have the gen. 1 mono's
I was one ofthe first 5 to buy the special edition st. Jude mono blocks.

If I could trade in for the sunfire signature~two. I would in a New York minute

Sunfire all day every day, better sound.

I have one, blows pants off of the emo mono's.  In emotive defense, I love the sound of the xpa's, they are in your face, and make my upgraded D-9's sound awesome.

Not sure you've actually heard either the Sunfire or the Emotiva.  If you have, you'd recognize immediately which one is better.  The clarity of the Emotivas blow away the Sunfire.  Back when the Sunfire came out, I'm sure it was the bee's knees, but the Emos today (at least the XPA-1's) will wipe the floor with the Sunfire gear.  I've spent countless hours listening to Sunfire amps, and the Emotivas, and there's no doubt in my mind which one is better.  The only carver option out there that I would concede to is the Lightstars... and I'd still take the Emos just because I couldn't afford to repair the lightstar every 6 months.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 11:15:55 PM »
   In emotiv[a] defense, I love the sound of the xpa's, they are in your face   

At least one thing an amp shouldn't be, IMO.

I corrected your spelling error as Emotive amps are anything but in your face.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:17:35 PM by F1nut »
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 08:45:36 AM »
:-) Jesse caught it...

Emotive Audio is a different competitor altogether..

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0803/emotivecalile.htm

bmwr75

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 10:47:07 AM »
Bathory is listening through Cerwin-Vega D9s, which are not the most resolving speakers, but more of a rock and roll speaker.....not that there is anything wrong with that.  However, D9s are 101 dB efficient, so don't require much amp power to achieve deafening levels.  See the specification sheet below:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100203

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 03:16:44 PM »
I would classify any C-W speakers I have heard over the years as mid-fi at best. My opinion of course

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 04:09:02 PM »
Now that is how bar fights get started  :P But that is my sense as well,  the CVs have a strong following but it is not in the audiophile crowd.

bearjew

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 05:36:33 PM »
I would classify any C-W speakers I have heard over the years as mid-fi at best. My opinion of course

I was thinking that too.  I had a 2.1 CV setup when I was in high school...  to this day, I still don't understand why they sounded like they couldn't put out anything over 12k... and all of the drivers (including the tweeters) were working...

CVs have a strong following but it is not in the audiophile crowd.

Bose has a strong following too.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 08:17:08 PM »
CVs have a strong following but it is not in the audiophile crowd.

Bose has a strong following too.
[/quote]

The CVs of two decades ago are well thought of in the vintage audio community,  they had a niche in the 'under $1K' range for efficient LOUDspeakers.   The Bose following consists of marketing-hymnoptized zombies of the yuppy type.    I think it is unfair to classify the CV followers as similar to the Bose dingbats.   >:D

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 09:05:53 PM »
Hahahahah.  Pot stirrers.   Cv is not audiophile, I don't use that word, as what makes something audiophile.  Price, the name on a speaker. Your all sheep. And Bose is shit

My new rc-70 sound wicked! Even better bi amped with sunfire.

So a speaker at 12000 dollars is audiophile because it's expensive. Whereas a QSC is not????   Hahahahah.   Sheep!

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 09:55:39 PM »
Nothing to do with price...but everything to do with SQ

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 01:45:21 AM »
Hahahahah.  Pot stirrers.   Cv is not audiophile, I don't use that word, as what makes something audiophile.  Price, the name on a speaker. Your all sheep. And Bose is shit

My new rc-70 sound wicked! Even better bi amped with sunfire.

So a speaker at 12000 dollars is audiophile because it's expensive. Whereas a QSC is not????   Hahahahah.   Sheep!

“It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.” Mark Twain.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 05:44:05 AM »
ok

thanks for making me feel welcome in these forums. your all class acts 

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 07:10:00 AM »
Some folks here are better at making people feel welcome than others, but the hostility that seems to have arisen is hardly one sided IMHO.   I think it started with you definitely stating what is and isn't "the real hi-fi".   People (even if perhaps they shouldn't) get really worked up over that sort of thing.   Once you were called on that, you called people "pot stirrers" and "sheep".   When you are the new guy it is often wise to lay a bit low and get a feel for the "lay of the land".

Since you don't feel welcome here (I have no issue with you, BTW), perhaps you could share a list of the on line communities where you do feel welcome.

Offline Bathory

• FNG !!!
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
Wow. A little sarcastic humor and all hell breaks loose. I thought dudes were supposed to like the camaraderie.  Not in this forum ?

Im sorry if i offended anyone.  .

Nothing like forcing someone to feel small

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 02:41:51 PM »
It's easy to misconstrue the intended nuance in written communications.  Some folks here do playfully banter with each other quite harshly and it is not taken in a negative way at all. That said, those folks have built a relationship with one another over quite some time and have gone so far as to meet each other in real life.

I think a rapport is still being established which may have led to the reaction. This is a community made up of different personalities; where some are laid back, some are comical, some are direct, some are sarcastic, some are sensitive and some pedantic etc.

When integrating into a community you have to navigate and understand that and also allow others to understand where you stand as well.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:56:52 PM by MasterBlaster »
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable