Author Topic: The Rogue 99 is back in town!  (Read 7874 times)

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
The Rogue 99 is back in town!
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:37:29 PM »
I was having a few issues with the Rogue 99 peamplifier power supply that I bought from Tom a couple of months ago.  He's such a stand up guy that he offered to cover the repair but I would have none of it.

Anyways, it came back yesterday and is sounding excellent.  The Magnum mods were performed about six weeks ago.  The Magnum mods include some upgraded capacitors (Mundorf Supreme Gold), ceramic tube sockets with gold plated recepticles, a larger internal power supply and a real nice faceplate.  I also bought a matched quad of some 1962 vintage RCA 6SN7 tubes.  I few folks have heard it such as Tom and Scott (bmw75).  Everyone has been generally impressed with the sound.  I live in a mid fi world and the Rogue 99 preamp is at the top of the mid fi preamp heap IMHO.

How about some pics???? 8)  Make sure to check out those big Mundorfs and the RCA 6SN7s, WHAT A TUBE!

Carl

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Re: The Rogue 99 is back in town!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 11:41:44 PM »
Those nudes are nice. Very clean looking!!!! I gotta say one thing though.... I think that parasound amp might take you out of the "mid" fi world 8)
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 12:23:56 AM »
Ahhhh!  You noticed the A21.  Thanks for the kind remarks.  I used to have two of those to power my big SDAs.  I found out that for my listening one was really all that was needed.  The Halo amp will knock the wind out of your chest and can make a pair of swimming pool speakers sound good. ;D
Carl

BB3

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 09:50:41 AM »
Carl, WOW !.....Everything Is Just Beautiful, Just Beautiful...... :)

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 11:47:10 AM »
Wow :o :o :o :o

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 02:28:31 PM »
Wow!! That is incredible. :o :o :o
True Image CM-2500, Terra Song SS-1, Denon       DCD-1520, Sony CA8es, Kef K140, Definitive Technology DR-7
youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Callof813