Author Topic: The importance of component matching  (Read 7596 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
The importance of component matching
« on: November 01, 2014, 10:07:34 PM »
This evening I got a nice reminder about the importance of component matching.   A few weeks back I got a pair of Klipsch Tangent 300 speakers.   One of the horns was broken and I used some epoxy to put it back together.   I had been playing them with my bench amp (a Technics SU-V76) and for a few days.   I found them to be everything people seem to hate about Klipsch speakers (BTW, I love Klipsch speakers, Hereseys are my daily drivers).   They were "shouty" even at 40 or 50 degrees of axis.   I kept hoping they would break in.   Then, I started wondering if Crites Titanium diaphragms would fit this particular horn.   I felt they had potential, but really needed some help.

This evening, in an unrelated project, I hooked up a still disassembled Pioneer SX-450.   I wanted to see if the DeOxit bath had been completely effective or if it was going to need another shot.   I wasn't even thinking about the speakers, just using them because they were what was on hand at the moment.   I cranked up the Fleetwood Mac and it was revelatory.   They went from sounding like PA speakers that I couldn't get within ten feet of to sounding like reference monitors.   Directly on axis they weren't even the slightest bit fatiguing.   Everything I thought might be there but wasn't revealing itself with the Technics came to the front with the Pioneer.

BTW, the Technics has sounded really great with JBLs and ADS, so it's not an issue with that amp.   Now I really can't wait to hear the Klipsches with tubes!

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
Re: The importance of component matching
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 01:55:28 AM »
I love when that happens. I got a set of BA A150's for $25 and refoamed them. They didn't sound good at all with a few amps. Hooked them up to a Kenwood and haven't looked back. Everything in that setup plays nice together. I don't mess with it. Outside of the speakers it's the same setup my dad had going from about 76 until he put it out for trash. The marantz speakers are long gone.

I haven't heard Klipschs outside of big box stuff. I've had a bug up my butt about wanting a pair for my tube amp. Curiuosity killed the cat.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 08:49:31 AM »
Where are you, Scorpio?   You could use the Tangent 300s for a while and see what you think.   They aren't prettied up yet, but that should scratch your itch.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »
Not just components, but even interconnects and speaker wire can make a huge difference. Not saying one brand type is better than another, just the opposite. Saying
try a few different types/ brands when evaluating... You never know lol
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 12:24:44 PM »
StaL, I'm in Bethel Park. Those would be nice to try out. I've had a hankering for KG4's but would love to try out anything similar to see if the sound is up my alley.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »
PM me when you can come over.   Use 'em for a while then give em back once you've made up your mind.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »
Oh, I'm in Penn Hills.

Anders

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 10:36:55 PM »
Interconnect and speaker cables can make a huge difference in some systems.
The wrong cable can really make a system bright or dull or boring.
My system when I had it all connected made this very obvious.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 10:45:42 PM »
Scorpio, here is the info on the Tangent 300s...

http://www.klipsch.com/tangent-300/details

Frequency Response:    38Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
SENSITIVITY:    96dB @ 1watt/1meter
POWER HANDLING:    125 watts maximum continuous (625 watts peak)
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:    8 ohms

Offline Mongojustpawn

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Mongo Like Choo-Choo!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 11:19:33 PM »
Sir TaL, ran across your posting of this subject on AK, seems to be some real turds on that forum.
Welcome Back My Friends, To The Show That Never Ends

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 11:37:27 PM »
System matching is important.  Its a real treat when things click.  Honestly, in  most of my audio journey things did seem to click
nicely.  Only one real standout failure.  My Decware SET and a pair of Kef Uni-Q Speakers.  Took them home just for that reason...an overnight trial run.  Had to return them the next day.  Chasing system synergy is fun. But it can also drive you
nuts and if you dont watch yourself you'll soon spend lots of time and money only to circle back to what you originally had.
Oh, one of my real standout successes was a Jolida 302 tube amp and a set of Meadowlark Kestral speakers.  This just
clicked instantly.  Musical from the get go. 

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 11:47:48 PM »
Scorpio, here is the info on the Tangent 300s...

http://www.klipsch.com/tangent-300/details

Frequency Response:    38Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
SENSITIVITY:    96dB @ 1watt/1meter
POWER HANDLING:    125 watts maximum continuous (625 watts peak)
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:    8 ohms

Thanks. Put three albums through them so far. Sturgill Simpson, so so. Grateful Dead In The Dark, very good. Metallica Master of Puppets, no no no that ain't no good. For side two of Master I turned both the Klipschs and the Sansui SP 1200s on at the same time, using a Niles selector. There might be something to that. Testing shall continue...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 11:59:29 PM »
Sir TaL, ran across your posting of this subject on AK, seems to be some real turds on that forum.

Nah, just a couple, like any big board.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 12:23:01 AM »

We're here too. Sometimes we keep quiet and lurk.  >:D

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 10:33:09 AM »
STaL let me borrow the Tangents mentioned above. I was very interested to try out the Klipsch sound and after almost two weeks of listening I'm not sure they're for me. My main listening system is a Jolida FX10 tube amp, Yaquin tube pre, Dual 1229, Niles speaker switch. So that's where I tried them out. These speakers are very sensitive and get loud. They also get right in your face like a pushy salesman. And that juste kills it for me. I like more laid back, not sure where the sound is coming from speakers. These Klipschs are not transparent.

Then I took off the ATN-150MLX cart and put on a Shure M95ED with a Jico SAS. Things sounded much better. The highs were tamed and not as overbearing. Cymbals on the AT cart can get obnoxiously shimmery. The mids and lows were tighter. I want to like these speakers, but after about 15 minutes they just hurt too much. I prefer my Sansui's or Bostons.

I did try them with other amps in the house, they sounded best with a NAD 7120. The other higher wattage amps in the house just make them too in your face and the music seems to lose detail. Perhaps they like bigger rooms? My living room has a vaulted ceiling which is about 16' at the center. I'll give them a try in there before dropping the back off.

Can I write off Klipsch based on just these speakers or do I need to test other models?