Author Topic: Technics SL1200 MK2  (Read 3029 times)

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
Technics SL1200 MK2
« on: December 23, 2014, 12:19:45 PM »
I have a question on the Technics SL1200. I seem to have a humming issue with the interconnects. They look like replacements from Radio Shack and they are really long, about 6 feet. If I leave them hanging I get a hum. If I move them around the hum comes and goes. Not all the way away but varies in loudness.

I do have a new pair of IC's that I think I can figure out how to install. One question I have though is as follows: Reading up it seems that some people do a grounding mod. Is that a DJ thing or would it fix my issue?
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Technics SL1200 MK2
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »
Would it fix your issue?   Sounds like you have a break in the cable since it is intermittent with movement.   If the hum is from the ground, then it might fix it.   If it is from the positive, it won't.

My recommendation is to get the RCA jack plate from KAB and do it once then never have to about it again.

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 01:55:45 PM »
Thanks STAL. I ordered two of them hoping it will fit the 1700 too. I've been all over that KABUSA page, it's funny you ended up referencing it.

I really like that turntable and the 1700 as well. It really sounds nice on my Sunfire
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »
If the second one doesn't fit your 1700, let me know.   Maybe I can use it.   I've held off ordering one because I don't have the dustcover or hinges.   It looks like it uses the hinge to secure it somehow.   Please let me know if I am wrong.