Author Topic: VPI Aries  (Read 7510 times)

OldiesButGoodies

VPI Aries
« on: December 24, 2014, 06:27:08 PM »
This is my current table and cart Tinpan:

Untitled by JSifontes, on Flickr

The Van de Hul Frog:

The speed control and assorted record cleaning stuff  (and the restored Tascam 122mkii -> awesome):

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
Re: VPI Aries
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 08:59:38 PM »
Nice table! Maybe one of these days I'll let you borrow the SDS.  ;)
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 08:28:35 AM »
Very nice, for whatever reason, vinyl has me really smitten right now. It could be the nice source just up the road that has a plethora of used vinyl for sale.

This is a small part of what he has out. He use to be a used book store but the used vinyl business took off so now he is refocusing on vinyl. He said he has to move again because he only has about 2 percent of his inventory out and needs a larger place.

The other turntable I've been noodling over is a Classic. It looks like the Aries is a step between a Classic and the upper models.

What has been nice is playing vinyl on my Sunfire set up. Albums that don't sound so well on my 300b set up sound very nice on my Sunfire, particularly  rock and roll. Right now the Technics is doing a good job filling that roll... but posts like this make me keep looking.

Awesome set up
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 10:26:57 AM »
wooaa just saw a Classic 3 for $30K.  That is crazy money.   I love the Aries. If you can find an Aries 1-3 used for $4000 or less, that would be a great buy in my opinion.  But they are tough to find at that price, especially with the SDS. Here's an Aries 3 avail in CAN:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649166348-vpi-aries-3/

The SDS add is worth it IMO,  it does make a slight but noticeable difference,  as Stephen is keen to point out.   I make do with the older VPI line conditioner - which does a fine job according to the stroboscope.  The SDS sells for $600-800 used.  The cartridge is another factor. I would have never bought a Van de Hul Frog new,  but now I will need to when this one wear out - it is addicting. 

OBG

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 12:16:44 PM »
OBG that Aries is fantastic!  Congrats on the stellar table!

What phono preamp are you currently using?
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 01:05:42 PM »
Very nice, for whatever reason, vinyl has me really smitten right now. It could be the nice source just up the road that has a plethora of used vinyl for sale.

Where are you, Tinpan?   I always enjoy checking out new vinyl haunts.

bearjew

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 02:25:08 PM »
Tinpan,

when that PL gear finally gets fixed, i'll bring it down and you'll have to show me that place; i'm pretty sure i could spend a day or two there.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 04:17:17 PM »
Thanks Carl -

I am using a Jolida JD9 modded with the Obligato film cap mod (there are a ton of mods discussed in Audiokarma for this pre) and better op-amps (OPA627s) in some parts of the circuit (a combination Jim P discovered by trial and error and I like).I thinks this is a great phono stage for a low output moving coil cart, not sure I would recommend it for a high output MM though. 

Cheers,

OBG
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 08:29:19 PM by OldiesButGoodies »

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 08:05:08 PM »
The original Aries with the half derillin platter is the best version. If you can get a JMW 10.5i tonearm with it, there isn't a much better combo, especially with the Van den Hul. I would say anything under 3000 is acceptable and would pick it any day over any of the classics, at least in my setup.
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 10:07:28 PM »
I am using a Jolida JD9 modded with the Obligato film cap mod (there are a ton of mods discussed in Audiokarma for this pre) and better op-amps (OPA627s) in some parts of the circuit (a combination Jim P discovered by trial and error and I like).I thinks this is a great phono stage for a low output moving coil cart, not sure I would recommend it for a high output MM though. 

Cheers,

OBG

The Jolida is a nice piece.  I know people are doing lots of mods to these.  I'm glad to hear that you have a good phono preamp in the chain.  It can make a world of difference!
Carl

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 10:17:39 AM »
Very nice setup Pepe.  I'v always liked VPI TT