Author Topic: !!! CarverFest 2015 Speaker Build Kit !!!  (Read 7305 times)

Offline JamesSauter

• FNG !!!
!!! CarverFest 2015 Speaker Build Kit !!!
« on: January 20, 2015, 07:09:24 PM »
As you know, over the years we have had a few CarverFest "builds" over on CarverAudio.com.
A few years ago was the CarverFest Tube Amp Build, and this year was the CarverFest Preamp Build.

Well we are gearing up for next years build...  The CarverFest 2015 Speaker Build.
I am in the process of designing a new,  version of the Sunfire Cinema Ribbons. The final design, specs and price are still up in the air, as they change daily as the design process moves forward.

DIRECT QUOTE FROM: - BOB -
"These speakers represent the next generation of the Cinema Ribbons. They have a more extended low-end, larger sound-stage, and more precision from the ribbons, as well as a better, more realistic height. They have a sweeter, more airy sound that is quite special."

This new set of speaker will be available to everyone who attends CarverFest... and for the 1st time, to the members of this forum as well, at the same CarverFest price + shipping.
The goals for this project are as follows:

1) TO HAVE FUN building your own set of speakers.
2) To produce a quality set of speakers that meets, if not beats the Cinema Ribbons in performance.
3) Making them fit within in a smaller footprint.
4) To manufacture these speakers IN the US
5) All while keeping their cost far below the Cinema Ribbons retail price.

So far the guidelines I'm trying to stick to are, to build a "speaker kit" that is as good, if not better than the Sunfire Cinema Ribbons, that anyone with minimal soldering and mechanical skills can assemble within a day at most, for under $500

This kit will be "complete"... drivers, pre-finished cabinets, crossover parts, nuts-bolts, terminals, wire, and "maybe" ever the right nut drivers needed to assemble them. BYO soldering iron, solder.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the goings on of the Speaker Build on the other forum.
(Things start to pick up around page 6)
DIRECT LINK TO MAIN TOPIC: http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=198423#p198423

Whatever the final price is for the CarverFest members, I will offer the kits to this forums members for the same price as well.
If anyone is serious about getting a kit, please post here and keep track of the total sets needed. When the time comes, I will post a total price per kit plus shipping, and I will post payment details.

So far, there are about 30-40 kits that the forum members have ordered.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There will be (3) different purchase options available, based on time and cost.
Basically... If you help support and fund the project from the beginning, you will save almost 50% by buying in kit form.
The longer you wait, and the closer the project comes to being a 100% completed, the closer you get to paying retail prices.
It's almost like a Kickstarter project.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Kit Total: $475 per pair. Plus $25 shipping if applicable. (lower 48 states)

Kit Pre-Order Deposits: $310.00 / Offer Ends: Midnight, January 31st 2015
Kit Pre-Order Balance: $165.00 / Begins: Feb. 1st 2015 - Balance Due By: Midnight February 28th 2015
(balance invoices will be sent to everyone who has made deposits by Jan 31st... on Feb 1st)
All Kits Ship on Sep 16th 2015 Direct From CarverFest NC

Completed Speaker Set Pre-Orders: $675 + sh / Begins: February 1st 2015 - Offer Ends: Midnight August 31st 2015
All Sets Ship Sep 16th 2015 Direct From CarverFest NC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standard Web Orders: $895 + sh / Begins: October 1st 2015
Ships Immediately.

OldiesButGoodies

Re: !!! CarverFest 2015 Speaker Build Kit !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 08:45:27 PM »
Can we get any additional details on the design?  Is it a small evolution of the CRM-2s or something different (design-wise) altogether?

Thanks,

Pepe

Offline JamesSauter

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 09:23:05 PM »
This new set is loosely based on the original Cinema Ribbons... Quite a few changes have been made and incorporated into the new design. My best suggestion is to read through the main thread on CarverAudio, ( link in 1st post ). There, most or all of your questions should be answered. The design has and continues to evolve as they get closer and closer to completion.

The current prototypes sound just AMAZING as you will read from the few that have been able to come visit and get an ear full.

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 09:23:39 PM »
Greetings Jim!

I am interested.  Additional information as Pepe noted would be useful.

Regards,

Carl
Carl

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 09:34:40 PM »
This looks awesome. I'm not in the position to buy right now but it would be so fun!
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 09:43:38 PM »
I'd settle for a single normal sized picture of the latest design.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 10:06:16 PM »
At first glance I was skeptical about the value proposition,  but reading the thread in CarverAudio is encouraging - the imaging and soundstage appear to be pretty good.  I think I may order a pair.  Will mull it over between now Jan the deadline at the end of the month.

Regards,

P

Offline JamesSauter

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 01:47:56 AM »
Here is a pic I posted the other day...
They are about 4.5" x 4.5" x 8" and weigh about 7 pounds ea.

Offline JamesSauter

• FNG !!!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 01:49:41 AM »
I wish the forum would scale the images...  sorry.

Offline JamesSauter

• FNG !!!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 06:44:34 PM »
Ran a few sets of blanks today. Next is building the jigs needed to CnC all four sides for drivers and back plate.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 12:35:19 AM »
Jim,

What are dimensions of the speaker box?  Thanks!
Carl

Offline JamesSauter

• FNG !!!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 05:09:38 AM »
About 4.5" sq, and 9" tall.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 08:46:40 AM »
From the Carveraudio site...proposed colors.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!