Author Topic: Hello everyone! New guy here!  (Read 6554 times)

Offline Comten

• Double Secret Probation!
Hello everyone! New guy here!
« on: January 30, 2015, 09:20:51 PM »
Call myself Comten as I once worked for Comten and it was probably the best job a young guy with 2 little kids could have, very flexible as to quality of life before it became lip service by today's employers...

Anyway, love of hi-fi goes way back to when we as newlyweds got the only stereo we could afford at the time - a Sears all-in-one - ahead of a TV. Music was too important.

Within a year that was gone and replaced by a Marantz 2240, a pair of ALTEC 891As, and a Dual turntable bought mailorder from the Wash DC free-trade-zone of the mid-70s. Later added a pair of Dynaco A25s.

ALTECs and Dynacos long gone, Dual and Marantz stored away in original boxes awaiting their day again.

Since then, got a Bose Lifestyle 12 that is easy as can be for the wife to operate, and just borrowed my son's Onkyo AVR and his Polk 5.1 plastic-fantastics.

Bitten again by the bug of 70's audio of my youth, have since added a pair of one-owner, consecutively-serial-numbered  ADC 303AXs to the set, and so put two of the Polks away.

Now looking for more BOOKSHELF speakers of my yesteryear, the biguns back when speakers were cloaked in veeners and we had BIG BOOKSHELVES the size to hold ADCs, JBL '100s or Larger Advents, and not these wienie little Polks or Orbs or Bose AM3s.

Two weeks ago I rescued a complete Fisher Studio Standard set of H/W from a certain date with a landfill - complete with 4 giant STV-something 3-way bass-reflex speakers large enough to bury a family of chimpanzees in. The Polk plastics and uneeded sub have all been put away now and the Fishers are sounding fine to us in the carpeted gameroom.

Anyway, have the Fisher speakers to learn how to modify on, while restifying the Fisher hardware and keeping my eyes open for a pair of AR4x/4ax or Larger Advents or KLH6s to complement the ADCs.

Thanks all for the time!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Hello everyone! New guy here!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:31:04 PM »
Welcome.

I have a Marantz 2230 for my daily driver.   My table is a JVC QL-A7.   Just today I found a Gerrard Zero 100 in time capsule condition.   My speakers are Heresey II and JBL L-100.

I love 70s stuff.

Offline Comten

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 12:09:04 AM »
The JBL L100 was my dream speaker back then.

Some folks wanted Advents, KLH, Harmons, Bose 901s or 501s - I wanted the JBLs. Couldn't swing them on an E3 pay at the time compared to the ALTECs.
When I finally could afford them - lost interest for the most part as our 1/2 duplex was too small for a family of 4 and a stereo set-up. That plus the kids playing with the albums like toys. Mid 80's is when the Dual went into storage along with the albums.

Worse still - the woofer foams rotted on the ALTECs - so they went to the curb as I had no idea they could be so easily repaired. Those gorgeous walnut cabinets - gone. Marantz went into storage next.

Oh well, now to relive the youth!

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 03:00:27 AM »
Welcome Comten! Good luck in your "back to the 70's" quest!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 04:51:18 AM »
Welcome to the group!
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

bearjew

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 07:03:39 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Offline Zoot Horn

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 07:44:59 AM »
Welcome aboard

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 08:45:48 AM »
Always nice to see some new blood. Welcome aboard!
Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 10:19:47 AM »
Welcome and have fun.  Given time, you will find what you are in search of.  Large Advents pop up on CL and sometimes here, as do L-100s.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Reverend

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 10:57:13 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 12:55:49 PM »
Welcome Comten!  We all love vintage gear and music so this is a great place to talk and exchange information.  We ar so glad that you joined the Forum!
Carl

Offline Mongojustpawn

• Mongo Like Choo-Choo!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 01:36:03 PM »
Welcome Comten.
Welcome Back My Friends, To The Show That Never Ends

SunnyDaze

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »
STRAIGHT OUTTA COMTON!

Offline geoffr

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 10:13:59 AM »
Jello.
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 11:49:06 AM »
Welcome to the madhouse.   We need to work on persuading you to get rid of that Bose Lifestyle system and getting the vintage gear out of storage!

Feel free to ask any questions...

Regards

OBG