Author Topic: Testing adding tweeters to the high end on the Amazings  (Read 9518 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Testing adding tweeters to the high end on the Amazings
« on: March 07, 2015, 07:26:24 PM »
I like the effect,  will not design it as a permanent change as I am planning a separate redesign of the baffles and bass drivers,  but this is fun in the mean time. Crossed over at 17.5Khz. 

IMG_2259 by JSifontes, on Flickr

IMG_2260 by JSifontes, on Flickr

IMG_2261 by JSifontes, on Flickr

;D

OBG

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: Testing adding tweeters to the high end on the Amazings
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:12:39 PM »
That is a very high frequency, Mosquito tone range.  Can you hear it?
Carl

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 08:27:23 AM »
Last time I checked, 17.5khz is about where my hearing starts to roll off.  Of course, 16 to 20khz is only 1/3 octave anyway.

What are you plans for the driver/baffle redesign?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:08:27 AM »
The 17.5K is the designed to number.  I put it there because the RTA is saying that the main ribbon drops off like the barrier reef at that point.  My 52 year old ears here them though.  I think I need to double check the tested value of the caps to ascertain the actual x-over point (but the taper is slow with just one cap,  so I am probably getting output from below 17.5). In fact,  I will just order decent caps and take it 2nd order. 

Come spring I will either:

• Strip the existing baffle and repaint it piano black with several coats of clear (it is scratched up),  add the dome super tweeters (or a Dayton ribbon, under evaluation) in a more elegant fashion (tough to do because I like the idea of just continuing the line source, keeps imaging tight, so may just repeat what I have in a  nicer finish) or
  • Create a new design with an out board bass unit using hivi or JL drivers,  and build a rib tower baffle separately that incorporates the domes (or the Dayton ribbon,  or a pair on Infinity EMITs modified to have rear output - just use the front frame of a pair of non-working EMITs on the back)

Will see what I decide,  but at  any rate thoughtI would post my mad tweaks here to stir up activity in the forum.

:-)

OBG

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 09:15:38 AM »
Your part two seems to take you a fair way to just building a new speaker, which will allow you to maintain the integrity of the Amazings.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Meles

• FNG !!!
  • It's Classic But It's Good
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »
The 17.5K is the designed to number.  I put it there because the RTA is saying that the main ribbon drops off like the barrier reef at that point.  My 52 year old ears here them though.  I think I need to double check the tested value of the caps to ascertain the actual x-over point (but the taper is slow with just one cap,  so I am probably getting output from below 17.5). In fact,  I will just order decent caps and take it 2nd order. 

Come spring I will either:

• Strip the existing baffle and repaint it piano black with several coats of clear (it is scratched up),  add the dome super tweeters (or a Dayton ribbon, under evaluation) in a more elegant fashion (tough to do because I like the idea of just continuing the line source, keeps imaging tight, so may just repeat what I have in a  nicer finish) or
  • Create a new design with an out board bass unit using hivi or JL drivers,  and build a rib tower baffle separately that incorporates the domes (or the Dayton ribbon,  or a pair on Infinity EMITs modified to have rear output - just use the front frame of a pair of non-working EMITs on the back)

Will see what I decide,  but at  any rate thoughtI would post my mad tweaks here to stir up activity in the forum.

:-)

OBG
Well, my Vandersteen 4a's are rated to 40khz. It definitely loses something when you disengage the super tweeter. My best guess is that with analog you have a medium that has extension into this range. With a proper super tweeter you will gain a more faithful reproduction of the waveforms of the original sound of the instruments. I would imagine that these waves interact with ones in the "audible" range.

I'd think you want a line source type tweeter in order to best match the dispersion characteristics of the Carver's ribbon. Line sources lose something like 3db per meter in the highs coming from the speaker. Those domes are going to be more like 6db per meter.

A friend of mine used to own these and now has Apogee Divas.
SPK:Vandersteen 4a
AMP(sub):Eagle 2a, all black gate caps
AMP(mid):Allen Organ converted to 300B PP
AMP(high):Allen Organ carcus w/seperate ps 6B4G PP
PRE:Loesch (got to go)
T/T:Well Tempered Classic with Benz Ruby
CD:Pioneer BDP-51FD hotrodded
CBL:Monster Sigma M2000, M2.4, PS Audio AC-12

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 10:01:12 PM »
As a gigging bassist for around 25 years, I've spent a lot of time in crowded bars next to crash cymbals.   At 48 I roll off sharply at 14k.   I'll have to take your word that this mod is beneficial.

bmwr75

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 10:15:06 PM »
Wish I knew the frequency of the ringing in my ears?  It sounds really high to me and is nearly always present, but pretty low dB.   Have been seeing some new drug for tinnitus being advertised lately, should try it I guess.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 10:29:51 PM »
I think I need to double check the tested value of the caps to ascertain the actual x-over point (but the taper is slow with just one cap,  so I am probably getting output from below 17.5).

Be sure too that you account for the impedance.   It looks like you have all three tweets in series, though it is hard to trace the wiring on the photo.   If you are using a standard 8 ohm chart, you are crossed much lower (or is it higher, I think it is lower) than you think you are (assuming all drivers are eight ohm).    An easy fix might be to add one more tweeter to each side and wire series/parallel.   

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 10:38:28 PM »
How about a hearing test for the old guys here (me included)  Look here!  http://music.ece.drexel.edu/hearingtest/
Carl

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 10:42:53 PM »
I could hear them all up to 19.5 KHz. and down to 35 with out subwoofer.

Post your results
Carl

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 10:56:31 PM »
15 -18.5 Khz using Skull Candy Ink'd 2 earbuds
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:30:19 AM by OldiesButGoodies »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 10:59:25 PM »
Unfortunately that one doesn't work for me as I can't hear 16.5k.   This one has a sweep from zero to 20k.

http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html

bearjew

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 08:02:27 AM »
haha either my shitty $20 speakers at work don't work well, or my hearing literally shits the bed at 13k.  I'm fairly certain it's the speakers...  a little concerned now though; will check again when I'm home.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 11:23:05 AM »
Just use earbuds - almost any earbud will go to 20K (unless it has been run through the dryer)...

Pepe