The Home Theater Corner > Home Theater Video

Downgrade-upgrade: Oppo BDP-83

(1/2) > >>

OldiesButGoodies:
I sold the non-plus-ultra Oppo BDP-105D and bought a used Oppo 83. All the goodness of the 105 w/o the complication,  and I got $700 in change to help buy a tube DAC. Listening to the Oregon - 45th Parallel CD on it and now it sounds pretty dang good - to my ears as good or better than the 105 (though not as good as that damn Phillips - maybe after I get the DAC).   Will try a SACD next.   

My take on the Oppo lineup now:  the 105 is not worth the extra dough. The DAC is not that good and is painful to use (little ergonomic things like not remembering what digital input I used last - had to scroll through the menu of eight inputs [of which the DAC is last] or hit a combination of keys to get to the DAC).  I may be in the minority,  but I think that Oppo DAC is oversold.  Rev's Arcam DAC (a 4 year old design costing much less) sounds way..... better.   The Darbee video processing in the 105D is not useful - at least not in my video display setups (Sharp Aquous 65" LCD or Mitsu 7900 front projector,  both at 1080p with the 105 doing all the processing) - the Oppo 83 is doing as good a job w/o all the complexity (or I do not have the "golden eyes" to appreciate the Darbee effect). If you are going to purchase a new Oppo,  go for the 103.  The "D" is not worth it except as a resale value gimmick.

My 2 cents.

OBG

OldiesButGoodies:
And I can make it multi-region  >:D:

http://www.multi-region.net/oppo_bdp-83

Sir Thrift-a-Lot:
You can also make it play SACD copies (since so many SACDs are out of print).

bmwr75:
Are you saying the 103 and 105 cannot be made multi-regional? 

That was always a big selling point for me on the OPPO dvd players.  Have not sprung for one of their bluray players yet.

OldiesButGoodies:
I stand corrected - the 83 patch applies to the 103 and 105.  Thanks for setting me straight Scott!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version