Author Topic: DAC digital coax to stereo RCA output  (Read 4856 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
DAC digital coax to stereo RCA output
« on: May 08, 2015, 08:39:15 AM »
looking for a decent DAC that will take digital coax and convert it to analog RCA out. Sound quality is important but would prefer used or at least a model back to save $$$
Don't know very much at all about DACs so; thoughts, opinions, recommendations are actually appreciated ... really.lol

I'm going to use it to take the digital coax out from my blu-ray and need an analog RCA stereo signal to plug into an aux input in the receiver..I must have an analog stereo signal to be able to play through the receiver to zone 2, which in this case are the outdoor speakers on the deck and patio. I'm using the blu-ray's wifi capabilities to connect to laptop as a source of music.

If you have one for sale... send me a PM 

Thanks

a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline treos33

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: DAC digital coax to stereo RCA output
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 10:14:14 AM »
You should be able to get the sound from the bluray HDMI connection to play on zone 2. As long its a stereo source and you select "All channel stereo"

You wouldn't be able to have different things playing inside and out so if that's what you're going for then you're dac solution would probably be the best solution.

If it's just for outdoor speakers I would just get a Fiio D3. No need for anything fancy. I run a Fiio E10 from my computer and it's perfectly fine for any streaming audio. http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO
Desk:
ObjectiveDAC, Technics SL-1500 w/ Grado Black Cart -> NAD 1000 pre -> Emotiva Airmotiv 4
Bedroom:
Creek 4330R -> DefTech StudioMonitor 450
Home Theater:
Onkyo TX-NR809, Rotel RB-981 -> Boston Acoustics VR-40, VR-12 Center, Soundware surrounds, Velodyne VRP-1200

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 05:14:20 PM »
I'll check out the Fiio D3....  clearly says in the manual that you cannot play hdmi nor digital coax through zone two... when scrolling through the inputs it does not even show them.

Thanks

a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 07:14:11 AM »
Jim,

Does your video monitor have a pair of RCA audio outs?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 08:31:33 AM »
son of a gun.... yes it does have analog out... I'll give it a try....  never thought of it. lol   Always grateful to this forum for assistance.

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 10:10:06 AM »
I have a sharp brand TV that had the ability to output HDMI audio stream to the RCA out.
They later disabled it in a firmware patch. Customers were furious. Damn DRM.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 06:38:19 PM »
well i hooked it up via the analog outputs on the tv.. turned off the internal speakers etc   and it isn't working.... still playing but frustration says maybe tomorrow.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 08:01:55 PM »
Time to throw away all your stuff and start again.

Actually that Fiio is a great buy, especially if you have a Prime account on Amazon.
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 12:10:46 AM »
I use a generic version of that Fiio (looks the same anyway) to get the sound from my Vizio to my receiver in the bedroom.   It is more than up to the (not very demanding) task and was like $8 on eBay.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 06:32:25 AM »
Jim,

You may need to turn up the TV volume to levels higher than you normally use.   
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 07:43:45 AM »
Sincerely appreciate the input /assistance... have tried that actually and have tried fixed output.... going to give it a another go today, will keep you posted.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 09:36:52 PM »
Well, the update is that I've tried five DACs to date; a very cheap $30 generic that melted the wall wart, a Focusrite, the Peachtree and Pepe's Jolida. The Jolida was nice and much better than the Peachtree, which had a huge bump in the mid range that I hated., and the Focusrite was lifeless.... today I received the Schiit Biofrost Uber USB... a huge step up from everything todate.... images remarkably well, nice musical presentation and great detail in the highs without being in the least bit shrill.... I think I have a keeper!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 09:53:25 PM »
Glad to hear that Jim - looking forward to auditioning it.

Pepe