Author Topic: My Tweeter's wings have been Klipsched. Where to fix?  (Read 4897 times)

Offline cns mithering

• FNG !!!
My Tweeter's wings have been Klipsched. Where to fix?
« on: May 26, 2015, 10:34:42 PM »
Howdy, pleasure to find this local forum and cry on your collective shoulders. Kindly asking for help and guidance( and patience).  I bought a pair of Klipsch Quartet a couple months ago. Fell in love immediately. In time, I bristled to find out that my right speaker seemed to be underperforming; imaging off and finally, in a nakedly right channel moment, heard familiar higher end content coming thru most quietly, distantly, and with certain already passages -not at all. Whether this happened before I bought them (from a guy in Florida), or in the period I had them, I can't rightly say.
A buddy put in new caps and did a basic audio meter test of the drivers dB output. He said they left and right were pretty much even, but he said his attempt was not the most discerning assessment that could be done. Even with this impediment with the tweeter, they are still sweet. I have a high end set of monitors that I dearly love;quick and transparent as all hell, but these Klipsch quartet have a voicing and warmth that is a perfect complement.
I neither have the time, talent, or patience to try to fix the problem. Wish I could, but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon. The same buddy who put the new caps in said something about the tweeters may need to be re-magnetized rather than replaced. But he isn't sure and his time and talents don't extend to fixing drivers.

Is there anywhere/ anyone in Pittsburgh able to do repairs?  Galaxy doesn't, much to my chagrin, but pointed me to simple speakers.com mistakenly metioned as an outfit doing repair in Ohio, that has a former Pittsburgh guy now working for them. They're not in OHio, tho, they're in Florida. Too Far.

Seemingly, too many hurdles. Tried to get Bob Crites, Klipsch parts and crossover guru's opinion. Nice enough guy, but he never answered my question of whether my tweeter could be repaired or needed to be replaced.

I am presuming it is only the tweeter, because other sonic info seems fine, but the whole thing needs a look see.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'd of course be willing to pay for the repair and parts.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: My Tweeter's wings have been Klipsched. Where to fix?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 10:51:53 PM »
I'm slightly confused.   Did he measure the outputs before or after recapping?   What happens if you swap tweeters?   Does the problem follow the horn or stay with the cabinet?

Offline cns mithering

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 12:06:30 AM »
 He measured them after the caps were replaced.  Therein lies the problem re Tweeters. This swop of the tweeters was suggested to me, but I can't follow through. I am not in a position to do so and  just really concerned about screwing up something if I was willing to muck about. I'm told it's easy, but I ain't got the confidence quotient yet. The way I could learn is with a set of blown speakers I could just practice on, but then you have to find a comparable set, and you have to want to. For a number of reasons, mostly time and patience, I just don't want to now. Just want them fixed.  But you have me curious, what else would you be trouble shooting for if it wasn't the tweeter but the cab?  The person who did this service for me is very comfortable with working on speakers, but I guess his time and ability to probe deeper was limited.  Thanks for replying

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 02:51:13 AM »
If it's not the tweeter, it's likely to be the crossover. A bad cap and/or resistor and/or inductor and/or cold solder joint. Could even be a loose wire, but I doubt that as you say there is some output.

If you can turn a screwdriver, you can swap the tweeters.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 07:35:26 AM »
Where do you live?

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 10:00:19 AM »
Hmm...  Never heard of re-magnitizing speakers/magnets...

As always...  A picture (or two) is worth a thousand words... 

Welcome to the forum...
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 04:41:29 PM »
It's likely a fried diaphragm or he mucked up the crossover when working on it. Either is a relatively simple fix. If you do the simple tests you're directed to by us friendly folks you can get out of this cheaper than just handing it off to a tech to fix without any effort on your side. Swapping the tweeters from the left to right speaker is easy, you unscrew the horns, there are two wires with quick-disconnects. Make a note of the wire colors and where they go, the other speaker will be the same. I generally take a picture here just to be sure.

If you're near me in Morgantown WV I would have you bring them to me and I'd knock out the testing for cheap.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 04:51:39 PM »
Hmm...  Never heard of re-magnitizing speakers/magnets...

Great Plains Audio offers it as part of their speaker service.

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/service.html

(This is not intended as an endorsement of the practice, just evidence that it is a practice.)

Offline cns mithering

• FNG !!!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »

Offline cns mithering

• FNG !!!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 09:29:28 PM »
If it's not the tweeter, it's likely to be the crossover. A bad cap and/or resistor and/or inductor and/or cold solder joint. Could even be a loose wire, but I doubt that as you say there is some output.

If you can turn a screwdriver, you can swap the tweeters.

Thanks for the scenarios as possible culprits. Based on what the gent told me there had been a solder joint that was found to be loose at the midgrange, but he re soldered it.

Offline cns mithering

• FNG !!!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 09:31:14 PM »

Welcome to the forum...
George
[/quote]

Many thanks, George. Am grateful for all these kind responses.

Offline cns mithering

• FNG !!!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 09:33:45 PM »
It's likely a fried diaphragm or he mucked up the crossover when working on it. Either is a relatively simple fix. If you do the simple tests you're directed to by us friendly folks you can get out of this cheaper than just handing it off to a tech to fix without any effort on your side. Swapping the tweeters from the left to right speaker is easy, you unscrew the horns, there are two wires with quick-disconnects. Make a note of the wire colors and where they go, the other speaker will be the same. I generally take a picture here just to be sure.

If you're near me in Morgantown WV I would have you bring them to me and I'd knock out the testing for cheap.

Whoa, hope it is just the diaphragm. The problem was there before he replaced the capacitors. He also noted at loose wire on the crossover platform and the aforementioned loosened solder.  Tell me more!  Thanks!

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »

I don't know if it's the diaphragm or not, but a move to the Titanium ones that Bob Crites sells will reap very discernable and better -IMO- performance.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9