Author Topic: Outdoor speakers  (Read 3690 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Outdoor speakers
« on: June 23, 2015, 09:30:56 PM »
I'm planning to tear out our existing deck and replacing it. I've got a fireplace clean out door I can run wires to to the living room. Not looking for an expensive pair, but not some cheap speakers in a rock either. Anyone have a recommendation?? The wife is going to go nuts when this happens and I'm running back n forth flipping records.  >:D

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Outdoor speakers
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 11:29:12 PM »
Will they be covered or do you need water resistant?

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 08:02:21 AM »
I have two pair of KEF Ventura 5 speakers on my patio and deck.... they sound amazing as Pepe will attest. surprisingly good bass and imaging. I highly recommend them... You can find them open box or used from time to time. Check out Accessories4less.com good people to deal with. It's worth spending the few extra dollars over the cheap ones... These are worth the premium over the no name, Bose, Polk and HK outdoor speakers I've heard.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/kefventura5-p/kef-ventura-5-outdoor-5-all-weather-loudspeakers-pair/1.html?child=KEFVENTURA5BLK
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 08:44:54 AM »
Will they be covered or do you need water resistant?

Water resistant preferred.

I have two pair of KEF Ventura 5 speakers on my patio and deck.... they sound amazing as Pepe will attest. surprisingly good bass and imaging. I highly recommend them... You can find them open box or used from time to time. Check out Accessories4less.com good people to deal with. It's worth spending the few extra dollars over the cheap ones... These are worth the premium over the no name, Bose, Polk and HK outdoor speakers I've heard.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/kefventura5-p/kef-ventura-5-outdoor-5-all-weather-loudspeakers-pair/1.html?child=KEFVENTURA5BLK

Thanks, that'll give me a good starting point.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 11:44:38 AM »

I have owned a bunch of outdoor speakers through the years, multiple Paradigms,  Infinity, JBL, Polk, etc.   They all produced listenable sound for BBQ'ing background music.  These KEFs are the only ones I have listened to that actually image well.  And the bass is decent. 

Offline non-prophet

• Audio Connoisseur
  • Peace among worlds
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »
Boston Acoustics Grand Voyagers, water-proof and paintable.  Sound great, but, would only purchase these on the used market.  I think they retail for $599. 
Duntech PCL-400 (Black Knight), KEF 105/3, Snell Type b
Aloia PST 11.1, Terra Song ss-1, Luxman c-1000, Melos MA333
Llano Phoenix CA-300, White Audio Labs A100, (2) Luxman M4000
McIntosh MA230

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 09:17:39 PM »
I looked around for the Kefs, was waiting for a pair to come up for $149. I tore the deck off today and wants tunes while I was doing it. Earlier in the week I ordered a pair of Dayton Audio IO655B. Ran 50' of 14 gauge Parts Express Chinese speaker wire from the Kenwood KA 7300 redneck style across the floor and out the door. The Dual 1249 with the Shure V15 VxMR is the only thing hooked up to the Kenwood, so it was a record day. Work for 20 minutes, water, flip record. I'm now on the back porch listening to Howlin Wolf and the $86 for these speakers was worth it. May grab another pair for when the deck is done.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 05:44:14 PM »
Nice.....can't beat having music out on the deck!

had the deck KEFs cranking last night....  playing Bunko with a few other couples out on the patio/ deck.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »
Nice.....can't beat having music out on the deck.

Likely going to be a week or two before I have a deck again to test that out. But they cranked all day on the patio (cement slab) right next to the deck.

I am horrible at guessing distance. Last night I ran the 100' spool of wire down through the living room wall, between the floor and basement ceiling and out onto the patio. I've only got about 10' of wire left outside. I'm thinking of putting an outdoor electric box on the wall with speaker terminals inside it. Then run two sets of wires, one for patio and the other over for the deck. That way depending where I want them I can move the speakers and not have to fuss over the wires. While the deck boards are off I can bury them out of site.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »
My distances aren't quite as long... but when I decided to add the second set of speakers,  I put a small sealed electrical box under the room and split/ran the two sets of LR from there. When I built the new room, I prewired one set into the wall outside, and later ran the second set along gutters etc to hide the wires. High wife acceptance factor lol  I used low oxy in wall wire throughout. Nothing other than the last 4" of wire is exposed in any way.   I used 12 gauge wire throughout. The Technics SE-TX100 amp I am using for them is happy to push low ohm loads so no problem with the way I wired them!   

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 06:27:17 AM »
It looks like I will have to replacing at least one of my deck speakers.  I noticed the bass breaking up this weekend when I had it cranked a little so suspect the foam may need replaced. 
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers