Author Topic: What's The Verdict Matt (Paden501) ?  (Read 14748 times)

Offline icravcarver

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Vinyl is better than ever!!!!
Re: What's The Verdict Matt (Paden501) ?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 12:18:40 PM »
paden501 - I know it is a tough decision.  I don't blame you for not wanting to change your CDP.  The Jolida is a nice unit.  As far as you SDA's, I'm running my 1C's with a TFM-55.  Seems to give the deep end you like, and the highs aren't too bad.  Of course you go to Tom's shop and you have a plethera of equipment to sample from.  I think the 55 does a good job, but mostly because it has the headroom to push your speakers to their limits.  And not bat an eyelash doing it!!! 8)

You may want to try that Sound Valves tube set up Tom has in the shop.  That seemed to be quite a nice smooth sounding unit, and it packed a pretty good punch!

Keep playing.  You are lucky enough to be close to the shop to audition the stuff.  I, on the other hand, am too far away to have that luxury.

Neil
MAIN SYSTEM:Carver TFM-55, Carver C-16, Carver S/DA-490t, Carver TD-1770, BSR-EQ3000, Philips AF-677, Auvio HD Radio Tuner, Polk SDA-1C's
Man Cave: HR-772, Technics SL-P220, Polk Monitor 12 Series 2
Bedroom: Cheap ass Teac Receiver, Klipsch Heresy II's
Porch: Kenwood KR-820 Receiver, Optimus STS 100

Offline paden501

• Audio Geek!
  • Nobody Home
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 08:49:46 PM »
Yeah Tom's setup is what got me thinking about the ST-70.  His Sound Valves VTA-70 is basically a driver-board modded ST-70 +- a few other mods.

I was extremely impressed at how that little tube amp of his handles those Energy speakers.

~Matt
--- My System ---
Front L/R: Polk Audio SDA-1C w/ Modified xovers
Amp: Carver TFM-24
CD: Jolida JD100a
HTR/Pre: B&K Reference 20
Turntable:Pioneer PL-516 W/ Shure M97xe
Surrounds -Polk Audio Monitor 4As

Offline icravcarver

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2010, 11:07:56 PM »
Yeah, that is what I heard.  He had the Mirage's hooked up when I heard them, and I have to say, I was pretty impressed.  Knowing Tom and the time it took him to get the Energy's back to form, I'm sure he'll have them around the shop for a while, so it will only be a matter of time before I get to hear them.
MAIN SYSTEM:Carver TFM-55, Carver C-16, Carver S/DA-490t, Carver TD-1770, BSR-EQ3000, Philips AF-677, Auvio HD Radio Tuner, Polk SDA-1C's

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2010, 11:22:06 PM »
Neil, next time you are down, they will be back in service. I am gonna give the para digms another week or two of abuse. You will like the sound they spew.
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline icravcarver

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2010, 11:55:21 PM »
Yeah,  the para digm's weren't bad.  The velodyne subs made them sound even better.  If I have a bigger car next time, maybe I'll bring down my digm's (floor standers) to compare.

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2010, 12:06:11 AM »
Neil, come down in the spring/summer. We'll have a blast!
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline icravcarver

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2010, 12:15:46 AM »
Most likely it will be in April sometime.  Maybe sneak another visit in March, but we'll have to see how busy it gets.  I would come down once a month if I could ;D ;D ;D

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2010, 12:19:45 AM »
The warmer the better... to smoke cigars. ;D

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2010, 12:39:12 AM »
You betcha'  ;D
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

BB3

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 10:47:30 AM »
Well the 1.0T is out for sure because of the non-common ground issue. 

As far as changing the CD player goes, I get where you're going. Synergy is important in a system, and too many 'warm' components can muddy the sound overall.  I could be hearing some of the 'rolled off' affect coming from my Jolida player.  It is noted to be more of a 'warm' player than a 'detailed' player, as are the Carver amps.  So I could have a synergy issue.

However, I really like my Jolida player, so I'd rather find an amp that plays well with it than change my CDP to match the amp.

Like I said.  NONE of these are bad options.  If I had to rank them, I'd rank them so far in this order:
M1.0T (even though I can't use it)
TFM-25
Hafler DH220
TFM-35x

But the truth is I like them all.  I just need to decide what direction that I want to go in.

Matt, that is exactly what I was getting at and I certainly wouldn't want to see you get rid of that Jolida player...... We both know that it is an excellent player. However, what harm would there be in owning another type of CD Player for maybe different types of music listening ?

You being a friend Matt, you do know that I would never tell what to do, right ? If I were you though, I would have Tom give you a package deal on the TFM-25 and that Denon DCD-1520 or 1610 of his and call it a day. I think that combination, along with your existing components will just flat out rule....... 8) :o

All The Best Matt.------BILL(BB3)

Offline paden501

• Audio Geek!
  • Nobody Home
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2010, 01:09:50 PM »
Bill I don't doubt that you've got my best interests at heart here.  I do consider you a friend and I trust your judgement and experience on these matters.  I don't want you to think that I'm blowing off your suggestions or anything.  With that said, I really do want to try a tube amp in my system before I decide what to do with all of this.  I've always been intrigued by tubes and I feel like I owe it to myself to see what a decent tube amp sounds like.  I just need to bide my time until I can get ahold of one to audition.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

~Matt
--- My System ---

BB3

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2010, 02:44:53 PM »
^^^^^^^^
Anytime Matt And I Thank You Sir For The Kind Remarks. Very Much Appreciated Matt. ;)

Please Be Rest Assured That I Will Never Ever Feel That You Are "Blowing Me Off" Matt. I'm Just Not Made That Way In Case You Didn't Already Know. ;D

You Know Something Else ? I Want To Apologize To You Matt For Maybe Going Off On Tangents With All Of This. I Just Want To See Not Only You, But Everyone Else For That Matter To Be Able To Get What They Want, And Most Importantly What Is Going To Make You / Them The Absolute Happiest.

Soooo, If It's Tubes That You Want, Then By All Means Please Do. You Know That's What I Want For You First And Foremost. :) Because It's What You Want, Period.

I'm Sorry But That's Just My Thought Process Matt.

Sincerely, BILL(BB3)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 02:49:56 PM by BB3 »

Offline paden501

• Audio Geek!
  • Nobody Home
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2010, 07:28:56 AM »
Well I finally made a decision on which amp I'm sticking with:

And the winner is......

A TFM-24!

All in all, I probably liked the m1.0T the best, but since I can't really use it with my SDA's it's pretty-much out.  The TFM-25 was my next choice, however it wouldn't fit behind the glass in my entertainment unit because the meter dimmer pot sticks out too far. 

So I went with a TFM-24, which is the same exact amp but without the meters, so it fits nicely in my setup.

Thanks for the help everybody! 

And of course thanks again for the great service Tom!
~Matt
--- My System ---

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2010, 10:33:51 PM »
 ;D

BB3

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 12:38:35 PM »
Awesome News Matt. 8) You Know I Don't Need To Tell You How Happy I Am For You.... :D :D

Happy Listening Matt............BILL(BB3)