Author Topic: Any news from the shop?  (Read 8106 times)

Offline vf1000ride

• FNG !!!
Any news from the shop?
« on: July 12, 2015, 07:43:03 PM »
Any news updates from the guys at the shop?  Do they have equipment back on the bench yet or an idea for a timeframe to pick up on the repair backlog?

Offline vf1000ride

• FNG !!!
Re: Any news from the shop?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 01:52:23 AM »
Nobody?

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 01:56:19 PM »
Progressing slowly but not operational yet was the last I heard and saw.  The new bench area is three times larger than the  old one,  and most of the component parts have been sorted/organized.  But not operational yet.

bmwr75

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 02:36:58 PM »
If I had stuff at the shop to be repaired, I'd be making every effort to get it back in my grubby hands.

Offline vf1000ride

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 10:47:34 PM »
If I had stuff at the shop to be repaired, I'd be making every effort to get it back in my grubby hands.

That is the problem with the situation, I have been trying for over a year now to get my equipment returned.  It has been at the shop since Feb of 2013.  This started long before the injury and before the shop moved and continues to this day.  I have tried everything from phone calls to emails and even postal mail and the owners/ anybody from the shop continues to refuse to contact me. I have asked for help from this forum and from the moderators and have gotten no answers from them either.  It seems as if I am "Not part of the club" so nobody justifies responding to me.  It's a 3-4 hour drive for me to go to Pittsburgh in person but really don't feel like wasting a day trip to drive out there just to find out they aren't around or refuse to answer the door also.  You would think if he is not currently making repairs and the shop is otherwise closed that they would have time to answer the phones, emails and send people unfixed gear back to them.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 11:06:18 PM »
It seems as if I am "Not part of the club" so nobody justifies responding to me.

I don't respond to these posts because I don't know the answer.   I wish I did.

Offline ST-Rider

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 08:06:05 AM »
Why hasn't Tom responded? Just a simple update would suffice. I can imagine how frustrating it must be to have your stuff in the shop for that long, and not even get the decency of a reply?  There are tons of people here that know/interact with Tom....the silence is deafening, and there's no excuse to not have an update. 

I'll be honest, this used to be my goto shop for any repairs and vintage audio purchases, but reading this has made me look elsewhere, even if the shop were to open tomorrow.
Carver C5
Carver TFM22
Paradigm Monitor 7 v.4

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 09:27:39 AM »
I don't think Tom checks this web site regularly any more.  Cannot positively confirm,  but I am almost sure that is the case. 

bmwr75

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 09:43:16 AM »
Screen capture below shows Tom (OCCD) was last active on the site on July 4, 2015.

Dicky

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 10:10:54 AM »
I don't think Tom checks this web site regularly any more.  Cannot positively confirm,  but I am almost sure that is the case.

Does he have to log onto the site to answer the telephone too? 

It is pretty ridiculous that people have been posting for information on getting equipment back for over a year, and no one can give an answer.  Whatever the reason for the delay communicate with the customer; and either ship the equipment back to them to have it repaired elsewhere or let them know a time when it can be evaluated. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:19:07 AM by Dicky »

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 10:18:27 AM »
Scotty - your point is taken.  I will slap Tom (again) on this topic next time I see him.  You need to walk a mile in his shoes to understand the specifics of the situation,  me thinks.   

bmwr75

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 03:05:39 PM »
Honestly, I'm surprised some dissatisfied customer hasn't already served papers on the shop for theft.

Offline ST-Rider

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »
Doesn't Anders still work there? I understand that Tom had surgery or something, but I thought Anders did a lot of the repair work?
Carver C5
Carver TFM22
Paradigm Monitor 7 v.4

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 03:35:31 PM »
I guess a person could raise a small claims action in the local court against the shop, if they so decided.  They would need to prove that they sent the equipment in,  that it was received, and that the shop has exceeded the reasonable time to respond or complete the repair.  Would cost a few bucks if you use a lawyer,  but you could do it yourself I surmise.  And Tom would respond to the claim by bringing the piece of equipment to court to return and that would be that.

Me,  I still believe the shop will come back to life soon and that the first priority will be to take care of the repair backlog.  The equipment sent in will return to its owners a tad more vintage than when it arrived.   I base this on my ongoing conversations with Tom when I do see him.  He is as anxious as any of us to get the shop going again soon.   

As for Anders, he can comment himself,  but I understand Anders has a real full-day job somewhere else - his contributions to the shop are/were sporadic. 

OBG

Dicky

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 04:34:39 PM »
I don't see anywhere that the customers want to go to court, they all have come here to ask for information, I.e. Communication.  "When" is the one asked the most.  Here is a post from exactly one year ago, http://vintagehifipgh.com/forum/index.php/topic,2968.msg28545.html#msg28545
Same question, no answer, and people still come to defend this situation.