Author Topic: Need tinted plastic or acetate sheet.  (Read 7750 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Need tinted plastic or acetate sheet.
« on: September 09, 2015, 07:07:22 AM »
I use an Insignia AM/FM HD tuner in my bedroom stereo to go to bed at night. The blue LCD readout is too bright as it's facing me when I'm in bed. Right now there is a sticky note over it but of course I can't see it at all. I really only use it for the 2 classical and 1 jazz station. All 3 have excellent programming 24/7.  Was thinking if I could find a neutral grey acetate sheet I could simply cut a piece and tape it over the readout to darken it. Anybody know where I can get this stuff?. Thx

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
Re: Need tinted plastic or acetate sheet.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 07:15:21 AM »
If no suggestions I just remembered I can use a Cokin neutral density filter designed for photography.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 07:44:35 AM »
My first thought was a gel paper for a par can.   You can get that at Guitar Center.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:52:08 AM »
Hey STaL. If it's paper is it transparent?. That might work depending on cost. The photography filter I mentioned is optically very high quality and if I don't already have one it's about $8 on Amazon. Thanks for suggestion!

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 10:05:01 AM »
Get BJ to put in a series resister or better yet, a trimpot to adjust the brightness.
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

bearjew

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:22:04 AM »
Get BJ to put in a series resister or better yet, a trimpot to adjust the brightness.

Don't drag me into this!

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 10:40:47 AM »
How large is the display? I was thinking a piece of window tint. A chunk of an old cracked dust cover? Use a sharpie to "tint" a piece of clear plastic.

I've got some stuff here called NiteShades. It's spray paint kids use to paint their taillights black. It's $15 a can at Pepboys. It's a royal pain to use. I can paint a small thin piece of clear plastic, I got a few pieces from old poster frames. Not sure where you live, if it's close I'll drop it off. If not close I'll mail it.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 11:26:18 AM »
I've seen someplace online that sells peel and stick tinted dots in various sizes to cut down the brightness of an LED. Sorry, I can't remember where, but I'm sure if you do a search you'll find them.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 02:37:38 PM »
This should be easy to source at a photography supply store (Samy's Camera,  B&H Photo, etc.).  There are not many here though - back in California they are common,  here I do not remember seeing any large photography stores in PA.   But you can buy it through the web - look for colored filter sheets.   

Another, perhaps easier option, would be a car supply store.  Buy a small amount of glass tinting mylar - it comes in several degrees of shading and are not that expensive,  especially if you only need a little bit of it.  I would imagine 25 of 35% tint would meet your needs.  Send BJ on a mission to source you some. 

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 03:16:25 PM »
Another, perhaps easier option, would be a car supply store.  Buy a small amount of glass tinting mylar - it comes in several degrees of shading and are not that expensive,  especially if you only need a little bit of it.  I would imagine 25 of 35% tint would meet your needs.  Send BJ on a mission to source you some.

Might be easiest thing to source. Home Depot or Lowes sell static tint for house windows. It sticks fairly well. Make it slightly bigger with a tab on it to peel off during the day if needed.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 08:23:40 AM »
There are a couple of photography/ camera /repair places in Pittsburgh. Do a google search. I think one of them is right near Consol / Penguins igloo.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 09:53:22 AM »
I have seen camera stores - like tiny shops - around downtown.  In California and New York they have huge Best-Buy-like stores (the Samy's Camera store in LA has 5 floors, each dedicated to a different aspect of photography.  *That* is a camera store...  ;)).   Will research who are the Canon reps around here (aside from Best Buy, Costco, et al).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:01:39 AM by OldiesButGoodies »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 10:06:38 AM »
Isn't there still a large camera store in Monroeville Mall?   Ritz, maybe?   I try to avoid malls.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 10:40:32 AM »
Google says its closed
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 10:59:51 PM »
Thanks everyone. I found and ordered Dim It light dimming sheets on Amazon. It appears to be exactly what I was looking for. Now I don't have to drag BJ into it!