Author Topic: Single Boston Acoustics A40  (Read 2622 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Single Boston Acoustics A40
« on: September 16, 2015, 11:40:44 PM »
Short version: I'm looking for a single A40, preferably series 2. A60 may work as well. If anyone has some or comes across them, let me know.

Longer version: I've been using my A150's with my Marantz (no, not that Marantz) HT receiver. I was having horrible center channel imaging with all the other spare speakers here. I picked up a pair of T930's from GraphicFX last night. Good guy, more on that in another thread when I get time. My plan was to use one tweeter and a mid in custom cabinet, though the sealed tube the mid sits in would be a challenge. My thought was they'd be a good match for the 150's. I hooked up one of them as a center (with the woofer disconnected, they need reformed). Instant success. Then I tried the 930's as rear channels and that's going to be their new home. Now, I'm back to needing a center and think a A40 will do the trick, A60 or 70 may work, but I'm thinking the smaller woofer in the 40 is the way to go.

I'm ok if the woofer needs refoamed, or a pair. Or even an empty cabinet, I can get tweeters, mids and crossovers likely cheaper than a pair.

I don't spend a lot of time listening to the TV, so the speakers that get shuffled around end up used there.

Offline GraphicFX

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: Single Boston Acoustics A40
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 11:15:36 AM »
I don't think the guys at Boston, ever intended their T-930's to be used as a center or rears.  They served my bedroom system well as rears, via a hafler circuit.   Hope it goes well for you Sean. 

BTW, Sean is one cool dude, in a loose mood. Great guy
Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 09:47:51 PM »

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 10:41:18 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. Had a good time chatting with Andrew. I still need to write the 100 page synopsis on his SDA's.

As for the Boston's, maybe not the greatest choice for HT use. But they're here and if history has anything to say, they'll get shuffled out sometime. I'm a far less critical HT listener.

Offline GraphicFX

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 12:22:55 PM »
I liked the T-930's for surround use. My only complaints, is their tweeter off-axis response. other than that, a great speaker and on the used market, a bargain.
Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b