Author Topic: VPI HW 16.5 Record Cleaner  (Read 5498 times)

OldiesButGoodies

VPI HW 16.5 Record Cleaner
« on: September 19, 2015, 05:27:18 PM »
Found a VPI HW 16.5 on Ebay for not too much and bought it,  put on a new mat and just cleaned my 1st record using  Audio Intelligent Enzymatic formula.   Tested it using an old Stan Kenton LP from the 50s I listen to often - the results were as advertised.  Quieter and more revealing of details,  certainly as compared to the Spin Clean.  When I turn on the vacuum it makes as much noise as a regular vacuum cleaner (loud) but that is ok by me - not too bad if it gets the job done.

IMG_1025.jpg by Jose Sifontes, on Flickr

PS -  I will be testing several record cleaning solutions (Audio Intelligent Enzymatic Formula,  Record Doctor RxLP,  and Spin Clean diluted in Aquafina water) and plan to post my observations here in the future. 

Offline geoffr

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: VPI HW 16.5 Record Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 05:33:39 PM »
I have an old (loud) HW-17 that still does the job. I have used only the VPI fluid, so will be interested in your observations. I use the spinclean as well.
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 05:49:28 PM »
Ha!  The HW 17 dispenses the fluid itself...  that probably reduces variability in solution-application technique as more IPA beers are consumed.   ;D

So far, based on a sample of n=1 (so not to be taken too seriously) the Enzymatic Formula beats Record Doctor RxLP in revealing detail - they are equals as fas as quieting the record down.    I cleaned side 1 with Enzymaric and side 2 with Record Doc.  This is my initial take after listening to both sides.

VS.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »
Excellent.   I'm bringing the 3d printed machine to the next geek meeting.   You can tell me how they compare or even better perhaps you'll want to bring that as well.

bmwr75

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 09:58:28 AM »
Be sure and remove the vacuum wand from its hole before you close the plexiglass lid or it will eventually break.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 01:41:46 PM »
Hey Ronald... can you re-frame the question?  Not sure I understand.  The platter spins the record,  has a "circular saw like" sounding" motor underneath.  Probably turns it at something close to 33 per min, sure the specs are out there.  The brush is held in position w your hand - you chk youtube videos on it.  If you are into LPs this thing is a heaven sent device, IMO.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 01:55:08 PM »
Do we think Ronald is even a person?   I'm leaning toward some sort of advanced spam-bot.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 02:03:38 PM »
Hmm.  You may be right.  His email is suspect and his IP is in the Ukraine. Damn it,  those hackers are creative bastards! Ronald,  please write something human before I quarantine your digital behind! 

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 03:21:42 PM »
He commented on my "Killer Rack" thread but was talking about guitar rigs..

bearjew

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 04:17:33 PM »
IP says Ukraine, profile says Germany.  I'm not going to deny that I've bounced my IP before, but there's a lot of strikes going against this guy, considering he did post about selling some speakers, and I have reason to believe that the link in his signature may or may not have malware.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 06:55:13 PM »
Virus Total says the link is clean, but I sure wouldn't click on anything once I got there.