Author Topic: Local Nakamichi-trained techs?  (Read 7383 times)

Offline steinjw

• FNG !!!
  • stein449@icloud.com
Local Nakamichi-trained techs?
« on: October 15, 2015, 09:44:42 AM »
Checking in to see if anyone knows of any Nak trained-or-capable techs still in the area - I have an old 601 pre on the way that is likely to need a look-over. Thanks much.
Jim
Linn Sondek LP12 w/Lingo II, Akito II, Dynavector XX-2 MKII, Art Audio Vinyl One Phono Pre, Gill Alana preamp, Art Audio Carissa Amp, Totem Acoustics Hawk Spkrs. Also Kenwood KT-5090 and NAK CR-7A Cass.(haven't used that last in an age).

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Local Nakamichi-trained techs?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 01:38:35 PM »
Would take it to Vince at Galaxie Electronics and ask him to clean the pots and check the caps. If you want to fly first class, send it to The Soundsmith in NY.   

Regards,

OBG

Offline steinjw

• FNG !!!
  • stein449@icloud.com
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 05:30:06 PM »
Appreciate the good advice, OBG.
By the way ... when do we lose the "FNG" tag - time elapsed or post numbers (patiently waiting ...).
Jim
Linn Sondek LP12 w/Lingo II, Akito II, Dynavector XX-2 MKII, Art Audio Vinyl One Phono Pre, Gill Alana preamp, Art Audio Carissa Amp, Totem Acoustics Hawk Spkrs. Also Kenwood KT-5090 and NAK CR-7A Cass.(haven't used that last in an age).

Offline steinjw

• FNG !!!
  • stein449@icloud.com
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 05:32:27 PM »
Oh wait OBG - I thought Soundsmith worked with cartridges (and their own specialty preamps/pickups), yes?
Jim

bmwr75

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 06:14:41 PM »
By the way ... when do we lose the "FNG" tag - time elapsed or post numbers (patiently waiting ...).

Number of posts.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 06:20:45 PM »
If you have the $$ The Soundsmith will help ya with pretty much any classic piece of equipment:

http://www.sound-smith.com/services/classic-audio-electronic-repairs

They do not work on equipment worked on by others, and they perform full restorations,  not "repairs".  Hence why I classify them as "first class" - in the sense that they are expensive (but do really good work and their warranty is excellent).

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 07:54:04 PM »
$1200 to fully restore Tandberg 10x R2R, to give you an idea (the deck was about $700 new).  Of course it will run and play like new for 10 or 20 more years.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline steinjw

• FNG !!!
  • stein449@icloud.com
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »
Interesting, Guys. All new info for me. Thanks.
Jim

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 08:40:33 PM »

Number of posts.

Just post a lot of meaningless crap like I do.   Your post count will go up in no time.    O0

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 08:41:52 PM »
Besides, you belong here.   We have a bearjew, a papabearjew and a steinjw.

Anders

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 10:01:51 PM »
Vince at Galaxie Electronics is a friend of mine and while he his capable of fixing some things he's not really a good technician.
He has no Idea how to align the MPX circuit of a Marantz receiver even after I showed him.

Offline vstarkwell

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Bass!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 07:25:36 AM »
Vince at Galaxie Electronics is a friend of mine and while he his capable of fixing some things he's not really a good technician.
He has no Idea how to align the MPX circuit of a Marantz receiver even after I showed him.

Anders what does aligning the MPX circuit of a Marantz have to do with the OP's question?

If you have issues with Vince why don't you call him or better yet talk to him face to face to tell him "he's not really a good technician" or "has no Idea how to align the MPX circuit of a Marantz receiver even after I showed him" I guarantee you wouldn't say that to his face slamming him online is cowardly.

You still owe me $25 for that tube RCA record player I gave you awhile back when we were working at Tom's new place. Let me know when you can get me the money.

Dicky

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 08:09:18 AM »

Hell of a friend you are talking down on his skills on a public forum.  It is only his livelihood you are affecting.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 08:11:40 AM by Dicky »

bearjew

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 08:25:33 AM »
Besides, you belong here.   We have a bearjew, a papabearjew and a steinjw.

amen

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 09:38:13 AM »
Oouch Anders!   You were a naughty boy there.   Vince never says a bad word about you,  and he does mention you as a good local tech.  You need to buy Vince a beer case of beer now!

Vince may not be a perfect tech,  but he can handle basic stuff and even some of the more complicated motor control madness in tape decks fine,  and works quick,  decent pricing.  I  know PBJ took his Revox turntable to Vince and he was not able to exorcise the hum from it,  but really,  that TT has been cursed for years now and no one has been able to take it,  so I do not blame Vince for failing on that one.

OBG