Author Topic: Paypal can suck it  (Read 8268 times)

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Paypal can suck it
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:29:45 AM »
I sold a piece of musical equipment last week, it had been a long time (six months) since i've sold anything on ebay.  I looked at paypal and it appears they have a new policy about not releasing funds? 

Here's the explanation:

Why aren’t my funds available as soon as my buyers pay?
Here are the most common reasons why:

You have a Below Standard seller rating on eBay
You have a limited selling history on eBay, which means that any of the following are true:
It’s been 90 days or less since your first successful sale on eBay, or
You’ve made 25 or fewer sales transactions on eBay, or
You’ve sold $250 or less on eBay

I have a 100% ebay rating with over 450 transactions, a Bill Me Later line of credit and they are holding $100 for up to 21 days because I didn't use them to print out a shipping label or because I haven't sold anything in awhile?  WTF?

SunnyDaze

Re: Paypal can suck it
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »
Out of curiosity, when you went to transfer the money to your account, did it give you the standard 3-4 day wait message or did it tell you that it could take up to 21 days from that point?

I just transferred to my account from PayPal after not selling for quite a while and it told me 3-4 days. I printed the labels on ePay, not PayPal. Weird. Sorry to hear about your issues.

Offline Reverend

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 12:59:01 PM »
This was the header that was across my paypal MyAccount page:

If I click on the "get it sooner" link I get this explanation.  The only thing I didn't do was use ebay or paypal to create my shipping label.  I have a fedex account.

Bunni

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 01:33:45 PM »
Same thing happened to us, Anders had been selling on Ebay for 11 years, and suddenly the last sale made us wait..had to pay out of pocket to ship the item while waiting.  Of course we didn't really have "out of pocket" at the time, which was the reason for the sale. 

We haven't bothered to do it again.  Just isn't what it used to be.  They seem to be discouraging "yard sale" type sellers in favor of more consistent sellers, businesses, that type of thing.  If you only sell occasionally, it's not worth it.

Bunni

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »
Oh and he has 100% positive feedback as well.  None of it matters.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 03:26:01 PM »
Same thing happened to us, Anders had been selling on Ebay for 11 years, and suddenly the last sale made us wait..had to pay out of pocket to ship the item while waiting.  Of course we didn't really have "out of pocket" at the time, which was the reason for the sale. 

Having your funds on hold via PayPal doesn't mean you have to pay shipping out of pocket. You can still use the eBay shipping tools to create a shipping label with your chosen carrier from your PayPal balance and the hold won't apply. In some cases you may have to wait a few hours for the exception to kick in, but within 24 hours, you can pay for shipping through eBay. PayPal will automatically account for the difference when your funds become available.

bearjew

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 06:24:01 PM »
same thing happened to me this morning.  given, i just started my own ebay account, but i have a paypal debit card, and i use it constantly, and i was surprised to see that i'm apparently not trustworthy enough.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 08:17:01 PM »
Me too.   Legalized money laundering.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 08:36:58 PM »
I think they are trying to entice you to do things that will move you into Paypal Select.  They are marketing Paypal airline frequent-flyer-style, and if you do not fly often and pay, you are the bottom rung of the loyalty program.    :-\

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 09:48:04 PM »
Pretty lame.  Think of the money they can make holding millions for a couple of weeks, day after day. 
Carl

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 10:22:35 AM »
They always do this to me.  I always call.  They always free funds immediately.
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Bunni

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 03:12:36 PM »

Having your funds on hold via PayPal doesn't mean you have to pay shipping out of pocket. You can still use the eBay shipping tools to create a shipping label with your chosen carrier from your PayPal balance and the hold won't apply. In some cases you may have to wait a few hours for the exception to kick in, but within 24 hours, you can pay for shipping through eBay. PayPal will automatically account for the difference when your funds become available.

If that had been an option, I wouldn't be complaining.  It wasn't.