Author Topic: Craigs List... Need to vent...  (Read 8234 times)

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Craigs List... Need to vent...
« on: January 08, 2016, 05:48:39 PM »
Well, had one of my worst experiences to date...

Should have listened to my gut feeling as I went to this house a few years back with a bad experience...

FYI, below is the post I'm referring to...
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/5385903784.html

I called asking if the cassette deck was still available & I wanted to stop over and plug it in & test it out before I bought it...  Person did not know which item I was referring to, was confused...  I tried to explain which item...  Call a second time for clarification/courtesy and ask about unit & wanting to stop over and test unit...  Said to stop over, thinking seller heard my comment about wanting/needing to test unit...

I drive 25 minutes in the rain & ring doorbell, seller answering door with tape deck in hand...  I politely ask to come in & be able to plug in tape deck to test.  Seller states "I can't come in..."  Says "house is cluttered (it WAS) & he did not want me in house!"  There were a few other things said, nothing real bad...  In fairness, he mentioned a relative had died recently & I think some of the items were the dead person's.  I told him he should have told me BEFORE I drove over to his house that I could not come in to test tape deck.  He said, "I should have asked when I called if I could come into his house!"  (I did ask him that I wanted to try/test tape player) At this point we both stood our ground for a few minutes, he it his warm/dry hallway & me getting drenched in the rain outside...  "Well do you want it?" Was his last reply...  I said if I can't test it...  The door was slammed in my face...

At this point I was not very happy, so all wet I get back in my car and drive home...  While driving, many thoughts came into my head of things to do or say...  I'm glad I did not carryout any of those thoughts, BUT now those of you who read this have to listen to me whine & complain!   ;)

I was trying to get the last item (cassette deck) for a system I will selling cheap to co-workers friend...

Very disappointing as I'm trying to get some extra money so I can purchase some items from ataudio...

Well, at least I did not get shot!   :P

Thanks for reading/listening...  If by chance any of you have a black economical ($10-20) working cassette deck you would/could sell, please let me know...
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Craigs List... Need to vent...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 06:13:24 PM »
George is you wants a cassette deck let me know,  I can get one going for you or give you one of the ones that is already going.

8)

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 06:19:21 PM »
That experience sux!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 06:46:09 PM »
George is you wants a cassette deck let me know,  I can get one going for you or give you one of the ones that is already going.

8)

Pepe to the rescue!  Wonderful news.

George, sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident.  I hope this helps put the situation behind you.
Carl

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 07:09:36 PM »

8)

Pepe to the rescue!  Wonderful news.

George, sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident.  I hope this helps put the situation behind you.
Give Pepe a hand.......
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 09:21:12 PM »
I pass up $10 cassette decks in the thrifts on a daily basis.   Unless it is something special, I didn't know anyone looked for them.   If you can't make it out to Pepe's, I probably have something in the basement.   I'll give it to you and you can test it at home cause I don't want you in my house and all.    ;D

bearjew

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 09:56:57 PM »
That sucks.  All I know is that I would NEVER put his phone number on 4chan and say that the guy is selling "Battletoads" at an astoundingly low price...  >:D

Reference: http://i.imgur.com/VY2xE.jpg

Seriously one of the most common, and hilarious pranks ever... not that I have ever participated.  >:D

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 09:59:16 PM »
That sucks.  All I know is that I would NEVER put his phone number on 4chan and say that the guy is selling "Battletoads" at an astoundingly low price...  >:D

Reference: http://i.imgur.com/VY2xE.jpg

Seriously one of the most common, and hilarious pranks ever... not that I have ever participated.  >:D

That's really funny.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 08:42:42 AM »
George - I have a single well JVC TDR441, with auto reverse, HX Pro, Dolby B, C and front panel adjustable bias if you are interested.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 09:58:11 AM »
Thanks to all who read & understood my post...

Thanks to all who have offered help!!!

Please understand my MAIN reason for posting was not that I was looking for a $10 item or $1000 item...  It was a bad/frustrating experience...  I felt a few did not understand the meaning behind the post...

Thanks for understanding, and as Carl posted, "I hope this helps put the situation behind you."  Yes it does!   :)

Hope all have a great weekend!!!
Thank you again,
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 01:55:11 PM »
george - this highlights (to me anyway) the need to size up  the (often crazy) CL seller in some depth on the phone, to make sure we know what we are getting into.  even if you do your best to assess the seller in advance, you can always run into a nutball (like you did).  I suspect many of these interactions do lead to altercations by people who are not as centered as you were in this case. It is best to walk away and let karma take care of it. the seller will get his comeuppance.

Karma, do your thing!

Pepe

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 06:11:36 PM »
I just like to throw caution to the wind.... and make sure I'm 'properly equipped' when I buy or sell.  It's good to be cautious and realize that crazy ass people often times both buy and sell.  ..and that the flip side of the coin is that -I- may be the crazy one in some situations....
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 07:13:33 PM »
I just like to throw caution to the wind.... and make sure I'm 'properly equipped' when I buy or sell. 

Agree,  unfortunately you have to be ready for anything.  I always invite Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson to join me in any CL shopping adventures. 

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 07:59:19 PM »
I just like to throw caution to the wind.... and make sure I'm 'properly equipped' when I buy or sell. 

Agree,  unfortunately you have to be ready for anything.  I always invite Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson to join me in any CL shopping adventures.

You mean you were packing when you invited me into your home to buy that Denon?   I don't believe it.   Either that or I made a very good impression on the phone.   That seems even less likely.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 09:04:17 PM »
Sorry yes I was or I at least knew where the nearest gun was.  I quickly homed in on the fact that no gunpowder would be needed, though...