Author Topic: Anyone know anything about the KLH-363 3-way speakers?  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Comten

• Double Secret Probation!
Anyone know anything about the KLH-363 3-way speakers?
« on: January 14, 2016, 06:23:35 PM »
Have had a pair for about a year, sound great.

Big 3-ways that weigh a ton and from the back look like any of the classic KLH speakers with the usual KLH connections and KLH labling, twin L-pads, at the front they have the cloth surround woofer - certainly worthy of getting re-capped and probably properly veneered as opposed to the utility vinyl, but I can't help but wonder are these supposed to be -  "modern" KLH-5s? KLH-6s? Anyone? Thanks!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Anyone know anything about the KLH-363 3-way speakers?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 10:03:39 PM »
That's a new one on me.

Offline Comten

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 09:32:57 PM »
Surprised nobody knows anything about these?

It's not like I bought these in Burundi and brought 'em back - bought them off a Yinzburgher on CL, but there is almost nothing on the 'net, and these are solid, heavy, well made speakers - I'd have to think they caught on with KLH fans.

I'm just trying to determine if they are modern successors to the KLH-5's, 12's, 23's, or what.

Thanks!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 10:37:22 PM »
Sorry.   No idea.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 01:18:26 PM »
I don't see anything on them here either.

http://www.aphenos.net/electronics/speakers/klh/all_klh.htm
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 06:51:52 PM »
From AK threads.....the woofers were still much like the woofers or even the same as what were used in the iconic 6's. Are they 10"? The line of KLH's that include the 363 I believe were produced during the Singer owned era, probably mid 70's. I don't think that the tweeters were the same as what were used in the earlier models. This era of KLH was the first step away from the era that KLH earned their stripes so to speak, but very much worth keeping and restoring. As already stated, the cloth surrounds need to be retreated as they become porous over time, allowing air to leak through the cloth which affects the bass production. Use the product already mentioned, period. Put in new capacitors as well as the originals most likely are way out of spec or non functional. Not much here on AK regarding the 363's. Post some pics. I'd also like to see what the crossover network looks like.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline ataudio

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 08:09:56 PM »
Ref resealing klh woofer surrounds....
Google: Roy c woofer dope.

Lots of info and controversy over what to use/not use and whether it's needed at all.  They look like decent speakers.  If they sound good by all means enjoy them.  I have some old Scott S196 and s186 3-ways and they were completely ignored by everyone but to my ears they are smooth, neutral and a well balanced speaker.  I enjoy them very much. 

Offline Comten

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 08:51:23 PM »
Maybe I just got a sleeper...

I did snag some of the RoyC "magic surround liquid rubber" as I have an old pair of KLH-32s with the cloth surrounds, and figured I needed it.

KLH-32 is Norwegian for "please put the grill covers back on as it hurts my eyes". They sure made some ugly speakers back then, good but ugly.

Offline ataudio

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 09:02:31 PM »
Ugly???  You want ugly.  The inverted dome tweeter used on early EPI (Winslow Burhoe design)
looked they were made on a kitchen table by kids....sloppy looking, ugly Masonite board, etc.
But they do sound nice.