Author Topic: Organizing my Record Collection  (Read 4278 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Organizing my Record Collection
« on: February 06, 2016, 12:05:43 PM »
In the prowl for an iOS (iPhone) app to organize my vinyl.   Torn between Discollector and Milkcrate. Any opinions on either in this forum?

Thanks!

OBG

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
Re: Organizing my Record Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 01:54:12 PM »
I just organized mine, using just my memory to catalog.   

Used just two categories, both sorted alphabetically.
Popular/Rock & roll and all other (Blues/Jazz/Cajun/Reggae/AfroPop)

I was going with completely alphabetical but I decided to put the more 'esoteric' stuff apart from the mainstream.  Blind Blake just did not look right next to Norman Blake......
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 03:39:56 PM »
Discogs has an app in beta. I've been trying to get in on the beta testing but haven't got an invite. It's due to go live in Q1. The feature I'm most excited about is a barcode scanner. Doesn't help with older records but should make newer records easier to catalog. For now, I use the website and try to do a few a week when I can. Only got 209 in there out of 7-800.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 04:24:03 PM »
Yeah, some day I'll put everything on Discogs.   Not platform dependent and available anywhere there is internet.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 08:08:38 PM »
I went with Discollector.  Have it linked to Discogs.  I have loaded a grand total of 3 LPs!   

I decided to listen to them as I load them,  which slows things down a bit.  Listening to this one now:

Why is Nat King so left-stage-biased?  Is my TT out of whack?  Good recording otherwise.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 09:23:53 AM »
Discogs has an app in beta. I've been trying to get in on the beta testing but haven't got an invite. It's due to go live in Q1. The feature I'm most excited about is a barcode scanner. Doesn't help with older records but should make newer records easier to catalog. For now, I use the website and try to do a few a week when I can. Only got 209 in there out of 7-800.

Hey 209 >3, kudos!  Some of the apps for sale in the iOS store have the scan feature, including the one I bought. I would like for developers to add OCR (optical character recognition) to scan the catalog number from the older records (or image scanning to connect the album art to an LP).  Someone will eventually do that.  Will continue adding to the database today. 

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 10:17:04 AM »
I tried out Milkcrate last night. It links to Discogs easily. The barcode scanner took two/three minutes to capture the picture. It worked, but in the time it took to get the scan I could have typed the catalog number in. Other than the barcode scanner, Milkcrate is no different than using discogs via a web browser.

Love the OCR idea.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 02:39:27 PM »
I still use the same Rolodex I've been using since the 70's. It's never crashed, never dropped a file, and I've never had compatibility problems with new hardware or software. Although BJ did put all the CD's that are in my CD jukebox in a Dropbox spreadsheet. Funny thing is I always thought my CD player had something wrong with it because it never displayed any artist and song info on the screen. A friend bought me a new Chris Botti DVD/CD pack and when I played the CD all the info showed up. Turns out all of my CD's are too old to contain that data.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 10:44:17 PM »
FYI - The official Discogs app goes live tomorrow, the 29th.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 12:53:06 AM »
Asst the risk of sounding stupid, what is it?

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 09:21:38 AM »

The short version, it's an iPhone app that takes everything on their website and makes it "easier" to use on a small phone.

Discogs is a website that taps into a huge online database of almost everything ever released. You can research artists or releases, buy or sell, create your own catalog, create wantlists and the list goes on.

My wife doesn't know what we have, so I'm trying to catalog everything. She'll be able to go to my collection on the website and pick what she wants to listen to. Or if she's out in a record store she won't bring me home 7 records I already own.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 02:55:06 PM »
Looking forward to test :P

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 07:29:05 PM »
I just organized mine, using just my memory to catalog.   

Used just two categories, both sorted alphabetically.
Popular/Rock & roll and all other (Blues/Jazz/Cajun/Reggae/AfroPop)

I was going with completely alphabetical but I decided to put the more 'esoteric' stuff apart from the mainstream.  Blind Blake just did not look right next to Norman Blake......

I wouldn't worry about it. Blind Blake wouldn't see Norman next to him

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 07:33:49 PM »

The short version, it's an iPhone app that takes everything on their website and makes it "easier" to use on a small phone.

Discogs is a website that taps into a huge online database of almost everything ever released. You can research artists or releases, buy or sell, create your own catalog, create wantlists and the list goes on.

My wife doesn't know what we have, so I'm trying to catalog everything. She'll be able to go to my collection on the website and pick what she wants to listen to. Or if she's out in a record store she won't bring me home 7 records I already own.

How much is it? My Rolodex has been very reliable for almost 40 years. Is that how AK members post real nice photos of albums they're listening to?

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 08:18:42 PM »

How much is it? My Rolodex has been very reliable for almost 40 years. Is that how AK members post real nice photos of albums they're listening to?

Free. Only works on iPhone or iPad right now. Android is on its way. www.discogs.com is free.

Not sure about the artwork. I'll have to try it out to see if you hot link the album art.