Author Topic: Rough Estimate For Small-ish RCA Console Phonograph  (Read 5781 times)

Offline Gelid

• FNG !!!
Rough Estimate For Small-ish RCA Console Phonograph
« on: March 30, 2016, 10:12:07 PM »
I have an opportunity to aquire this very RCA console phonograph.

I did not take these pictures and have not the chance to see it in person, but I was wondering how much to offer for it.

I believe they will try to give it to me, but if it's worth a couple hundred bucks I'd like to pay for it, to help them out.

My best guess is that it is a SHP-9. (Doesn't look like it has the radio in it)

I am told it's pretty clean, but hasn't been used in several decades.

Any thoughts? Is it worth my time?

Offline hewlew1

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: Rough Estimate For Small-ish RCA Console Phonograph
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 11:04:19 PM »
Some of them fetch a fair price on the bay once they have been reworked. I think it looks pretty cool and if you have a place for it I say a fair price would be between 50 to 100 bucks.Do your self a favor and check out pricing on that auction site first.

Offline Gelid

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 09:00:33 PM »

My father-in-law brought it over today, while I was at work.

Looks like a beauty. No major yikes in the glossy finish, and only one very small pull in the grill cloth that can be snipped and glued to keep from unraveling if needed. Two of the legs broke off when he was unscrewing them from the base, but I can just tack them together and be good as new.

What's got me concerned is that he laid it in his van on it's side. Except for the tracking arm flopping around (yikes!) should there be cause for concern?

I'm not concerned with the needle, as I intended to replace that anyway.

This weekend I'll get some pictures of the insides, but basically it is just as it was used last, including the Bobby Darin, Frankie Avalon, Little Richard, Frank Sinatra and Vic Damone 45's in the side compartment.

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 10:30:04 PM »

Any thoughts? Is it worth my time?

In my opinion no!  It's not worth your time.  But that's just me.

It's a very low eye console that probably doesn't sound all that great.  If they give it to you and you have fun playing with it, then go for it.  If it doesn't work it's probably not worth repairing unless you do it yourself.  Good luck whatever you decide to do!
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:08:21 AM »

What's got me concerned is that he laid it in his van on it's side. Except for the tracking arm flopping around (yikes!) should there be cause for concern?

Make sure all of the tubes are well seated.   I sort of agree with Carl, but sort of don't.   I don't believe the unit to be particularly valuable, but if it is clean it certainly is worth saving IMHO.   Especially since such a unit is great to learn recapping on since if you wreck it you aren't really out anything.   And when you are finished, you'll have a fun piece to stack 45s on.   Not all of us have room for a jukebox.

Here is a great page for the beginning restorer.   I refer to it often and there is a lot of great info...

http://www.antiqueradio.org/recap.htm

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 07:17:06 AM »
If that is a mono player,  it is probably not worth much.  If it does not play as-is,  I would not offer that much for it.  If you can get it for free,  and you do see them every now and then,  it might be worth it to learn on it.    It all depends on what your time is worth.

Good luck.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Gelid

• FNG !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 07:43:24 AM »
Nope, it is a stereo unit; RCA's first year for stereo, ftom what I have read.

I'm not to concerned with the value of it now that I have it. I just want to tinker with it  clean it up for display, and occasional use when certain company is over.

Thanks for all the input, and Sir, thank you gor the link, too.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 06:27:07 PM »
Does it include the tuner, which appears to have been an option and (may not be stereo)?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 12:23:10 AM »

Make sure all of the tubes are well seated.   I sort of agree with Carl, but sort of don't.   I don't believe the unit to be particularly valuable, but if it is clean it certainly is worth saving IMHO.   Especially since such a unit is great to learn recapping on since if you wreck it you aren't really out anything.   And when you are finished, you'll have a fun piece to stack 45s on.   Not all of us have room for a jukebox.

Here is a great page for the beginning restorer.   I refer to it often and there is a lot of great info...

http://www.antiqueradio.org/recap.htm

Mark, I think we are basically saying the same thing.  If the OP can have fun with it, learn from it and it doesn't cost much to own or repair then it could be a nice piece.  If it has a bad, unobtainium transformer, then it may not be such a good piece.
Carl