Author Topic: My Wurlitzer Zodiac jukebox  (Read 3325 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
My Wurlitzer Zodiac jukebox
« on: March 31, 2016, 02:23:24 PM »
I should have my head examined, but I think we're all sort of in that boat. I had the bug and a buddy who really wanted to see this happen, so I went for it. Talked to the guy on the phone and arranged three friends to meet at his house. Two of us got there early and we stood in the driveway BS'ing. The seller then says we can bring it through that gate and down the yard after we take out the window. Window??? WTF you mean WINDOW? He told me on the phone a couple steps here and there, but never mentioned window. I was hoping he meant sliding glass door instead of window. Keep in mind this jukebox weighs somewhere around 400lbs. In the house we went. It really was a window, it was about knee high and pretty big. Three inside handed it to two outside, then two ran outside to help get it on the ground. From there it was smooth sailing.

That was the easy part. I was told it didm't currently work and no clue why. i've been cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. Slowly things are starting to work again, but it's going very slow. I've got the service manual, but it doesn't cover everything like where to oil and what type of oil.

She ain't no looker at the moment, going for function over form at the moment. If/when it runs then I'll dress it up.

Not a great design, this was covered in dirt and dust.

The original glass is gone, I sort of like being able to see everything inside. 

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
Re: My Wurlitzer Zodiac jukebox
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 03:51:43 PM »
That is pretty cool! Is it loaded with records?

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 05:28:18 PM »
Just one record, Ozark Mountain Daredevils - Jackie Blue. Until I can get it running reliably I'm just putting one in. An Internet comment about "frisbee mode" has me being cautious. I believe frisbee mode is right before light it on fire and roll it down the driveway mode.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 06:51:10 PM »
I've got the service manual, but it doesn't cover everything like where to oil and what type of oil.

When in doubt, for anything related to a turntable, sewing machine oil.

Offline hewlew1

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 08:40:15 PM »
I have the same jukebox. I have had it for about 2 years now and have not had the time to do anything with it. I figure to power it up with a variac in an effort to avoid blowing up caps like fire crackers.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 09:54:42 PM »
I have the same jukebox. I have had it for about 2 years now and have not had the time to do anything with it. I figure to power it up with a variac in an effort to avoid blowing up caps like fire crackers.

Variac would of been a good idea, since I didn't have one I blew caution to the wind and just plugged it in.

I have a service manual if you need it to make a copy.

I've got the basket to turn, though it sometimes stumbles. I did get it to pick a record and start playing it by manually triggering a couple microswitches, that doesn't occur anymore.  ??? Currently trying to get the keyboard to actually make a selection, sometimes it works. Read the Wurlitzer keyboards can be very finicky.

The amp will be last. If I can get the mechanisms to work I can roll it into the basement and connect it to my main system.

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 09:00:29 AM »
My friend has one extremely similar if not the same model in his basement.  Awesome!

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 07:02:54 PM »
Made some good progress, but still a ways to go. I've been able to trick the thing into playing, the keyboard select is bitched. The upper speakers sound horrendous. Likely not very good speakers and most likely the amp needs gone over. I ran rca's out to an external setup, that works well.

The set down and pickup on the tonearm was way out of whack. Got set down good, popped the head off the pick up adjusting bolt. Got it out, I'll have to find another to replace it with.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 05:53:08 PM »
Got my relays squared away. Didn't help. So I uninstalled the control panel and put the extra panel that came with it in. All selections now work!

Time to swap the belts, have two extra. Need to order a stylus, I'm sure the current stylus is beat.

This now enters the amp phase. Originally only had sound out of the left side. Now nothing. I had been using an external amp, but that also stopped working. Two steps forward, one back but I'm making progress.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 03:54:48 PM »
Had a poker game here last night. It got me motivated to sort this jukebox out. Started earlier this week working out all the little gremlins. We had it running for about 4-5 hours with only one issue, one selection pin wouldn't cancel so it kept playing one song until it finally canceled.

It's not 100% where I'd like it to be. Biggest remaining issue is the internal amp needs gone over. With colder weather coming it's on the list to do. For now it runs into a Pioneer SX1000TD ceramic input then out to a Kenwood KR6600 and on to a pair of Genesis Physics G20's. I was using Rectilinears in the garage, but the bass was too overwhelming. Even the smaller G20's create some "boominess" I need to try and tame. one speaker is on top of a workbench and I think it should be uncoupled, perhaps on a shelf.

In any event it's been a fun little project.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 10:18:50 PM »
but the bass was too overwhelming.

I'm pretty sure I've never head anyone say that about anything on this board before.

Seriously though, try some spikes.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 08:17:20 AM »
lol good comment...... and very cool project. Please keep us informed!
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 10:07:35 AM »
but the bass was too overwhelming.

I'm pretty sure I've never head anyone say that about anything on this board before.

Seriously though, try some spikes.

I've had a pair of cheap speaker stands collecting dust for yrs. Got them out and took the bases off and put the spikes in them. Now I need a sub! Ha, just kidding. Worked out perfectly, stopped the workbench from adding noise. It still vibrates, but doesn't resonate as bad with the spikes.